Diver hospitalized with bends - Oahu, Hawaii

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

DandyDon

Umbraphile
ScubaBoard Supporter
Reaction score
One kilometer high on the Texas Central Plains
# of dives
500 - 999
I don't often post about bends injuries here, and we don't see news stories about bends often. Chambers around the world seem to stay busy with hits, and I don't see what can be learned about brief stories that seldom even hint at causes. Maybe I'm wrong.

HONOLULU (HawaiiNewsNow) - A man was hospitalized after a diving-related incident in waters of Maunalua Bay, Sunday morning.

EMS officials said a 34-year-old man suffered an apparent case of the bends — or decompression sickness, before 10:30 a.m.

Officials said he was with a tour boat in Maunalua Bay when he fell ill.

Decompression sickness is a result of being exposed to increased pressure, usually from drastic altitude changes. These rapid changes lead to absorbed nitrogen creating bubbles in the blood or body tissue.

If not treated quickly, extreme cases can be deadly.

Symptoms include blotchiness or rash, dizziness, confusion, numbness, tingling or even paralysis.

Of course, symptom-wise the most common one is pain (60%) is omitted from the list.
skin is about 10% and dizziness is about 20%.…
anyhow, it is hard to learn from an article like this unless more information will come to surface.
I guess, if you dive, DCI happens…

I got a chuckle from the "usually from drastic altitude changes" as a cause.

I got a chuckle from the "usually from drastic altitude changes" as a cause.
Yes, me too. Putting aside feeling bad for the diver, it was actually entertaining reading a lay person’s recount of events.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom