Diver missing on North Wall dive 21 Sept 2009

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Drew Sailbum

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
# of dives
A 60 year old diver visiting the island from Las Vegas was reported missing on a Monday morning dive (21 Sept 2009) at Eagle Ray Pass on Cayman's North Wall.

Searches were carried out throughout the day Monday and have resumed Tuesday morning.

Winds over the open seas were reported from the east to east-southeast. This could potentially push a floating diver out to sea.

Here's hoping for the best.

Article from Cayman Compass

Any idea on how search is being carried out? Police? Dive Ops? Volunteers?

Thoughts and prayers for the diver and his family.

Any idea on how search is being carried out? Police? Dive Ops? Volunteers?

There were many dive ops involved with the search as well as the helicopter and the marine police. I had one of my captains return to the dock on O2 after three long and exhausting deco air dives. Thanks Martin. I personally went back out at 1:00 and ran from Rum Point to Tarpon Alley towing a snorkeler behind the boat. Unfortunately, we saw nothing.
Our hopes and prayers go out to him and his family.

There were many dive ops involved with the search as well as the helicopter and the marine police. I had one of my captains return to the dock on O2 after three long and exhausting deco air dives. Thanks Martin. I personally went back out at 1:00 and ran from Rum Point to Tarpon Alley towing a snorkeler behind the boat. Unfortunately, we saw nothing.
Our hopes and prayers go out to him and his family.

I'm currently on the Island. If any more volunteers are needed, I'm willing to help. PM me and I'll provide local contact info.

Was he diving alone, with a buddy, or was this a guided dive?

All the reports I've seen and heard was that the last time the diver was seen was when the group prepared to ascend. I havent heard any information on the size of the group, experience levels, buddy team, etc. at this point.

Thoughts and prayers to the family and rescue/searchers. I hope this turns out better than they usually do after this much time has passed.

Back
Top Bottom