Diver missing today? 03/28/12

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

From Steve Rosenberg's Diving Cozumel:

The dominant current flowing thout the Caribbean originates in the Sourth Atlantic. When the current reaches the Brazilian bluge it splits. About 40 percent of the flow moes along the north fae of South America and into the Caribbean Sea. This flow is called the Guiana Current. Because the earth’s rotation causes currents to bend clockwise in the northern hemisphere, the Guiana is flowing almost due north as it sweeps around Cozumel.

This large volume of water is severely constricted as it flows through the narrow Yucatan Channel which spans about 100 miles between Mexico and Cuba. This constriction results in the current reaching speeds of over 2 knots in the Channel and as much as 8 knots between Cozumel and the mainland.

I cannot find what makes the current reverse sometimes.

What other facts can you share?

She was buddied up with her husband not a stranger. She told her husband she needed to go to the surface. Her husband let the DM know then headed up himself but when he reached the surface he couldn't find her. The current was part of the problem. They did inform the DM she needed to go up.And they bought most of their gear so none of these assumptions are actually true.

She was buddied up with her husband not a stranger. She told her husband she needed to go to the surface. Her husband let the DM know then headed up himself but when he reached the surface he couldn't find her. The current was part of the problem. They did inform the DM she needed to go up.And they bought most of their gear so none of these assumptions are actually true.

Hi, Kshoonover! Welcome to ScubaBoard -- so sorry it is under these conditions. :hugs:

Where you on the boat, too? Did you know her? We are so sorry for your loss.

Normal is South to North. Not sure what makes it change. :hm:

Thanks Jax that is what I wrote in my earlier post and then questioned myself....

It was very strange on day 3 drift diving north to south a couple weeks ago.

Sarge

Sarge
Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Welcome aboard. I echo JAXs sentiments and apologize if we seem callous to the situation.

She was with her husband. She told her husband she needed to go to the surface. Her husband let the instructor know then headed up himself but when he reached the surface he couldn't find her. The current was part of the problem.

Yes, thanks for posting, although sorry it is under heartbreaking circumstances.

While I don't know kschoovoner, his/her account is consistent with what I've been told. I got the information from an employee, whose wife is best friends with the missing. They've had direct contact with the husband, and the way it was explained to me was that they both ascended around the same time and when the husband reached the surface, he could not locate his wife. I'm not a diver and found this website through google in an attempt to find any updates on the story. I've no idea of their experience level or anything like that, but I just wanted to corroborate what kschoovoner has said. I'm of the understanding that she is around 50 years of age and retired from the Army. My apologies to anyone with personal ties to the missing and/or her family if any of what I've said is false. I can only say for certain that our employee's wife is one of the missing's best friends.

Okay... this new information from kschoovoner is very confusing for me, a regular diver in Cozumel.
If the husband started up right after her, why didn't he see her on his way up?
If current was the issue, then was it pushing out or across or down?
Why is it he didn't notice she wasn't around only when he reached the surface?
Even in the worst vis I have ever seen in Cozumel, I could always see other divers going up, and boats at the surface.

I don't mean to sound callous, as I am sure none of the other posters here want to appear, we are just trying to understand since this is the 3rd story of what happened we have now heard in 24 hours.

robin

While I don't know kschoovoner, his/her account is consistent with what I've been told. I got the information from an employee, whose wife is best friends with the missing. They've had direct contact with the husband, and the way it was explained to me was that they both ascended around the same time and when the husband reached the surface, he could not locate his wife. I'm not a diver and found this website through google in an attempt to find any updates on the story. I've no idea of their experience level or anything like that, but I just wanted to corroborate what kschoovoner has said. I'm of the understanding that she is around 50 years of age and retired from the Army. My apologies to anyone with personal ties to the missing and/or her family if any of what I've said is false. I can only say for certain that our employee's wife is one of the missing's best friends.

And welcome to you, also, Jamma. Please know that all of you are in our prayers.

This is so heartbreaking. Her husband must be beside himself. Currents can be so strange, 2 knots at one depth, and more or less at another.

Damn hard to lose a veteran under these circumstances.

What other facts can you share?

That's all my step dad has told me. They still haven't been able to find her & my step dad had to get off the cruise ship & stay there till they can find her. She's retired from the army so hopefully she's able to take care of herself. Last she was seen, she was heading to the surface, no one knows if she ever made it or what happened to her.

---------- Post added at 05:09 PM ---------- Previous post was at 05:06 PM ----------

I'm her daughter

Back
Top Bottom