DiverGuard: Is this for real?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

r4e: The question remains wether this turkey sound might awaken someone who is already unconscious. While with a buddy it might alert the buddy, I am very sceptical about it alerting a solo diver. I've seen many unconscious people and while a tactical stimulus sometimes gets a response, yelling at them seldom does. Aside from the fact that it doesn't address the problem that causes the stopping of breathing in the first place.

The only benefit imho is that if someone is unconscious or even dead, it might take them to te surface with the advantage of not having to search for a body below our murky waters. Last year in the Netherlands there were two accidents were there were great difficulties in locating the bodies. In one case it took more than three weeks to find the body and they used the most advanced equipment available. Both had died in small lakes btw.

I really do question the value of a product like this even for solo divers. You mention the fact of breathing water and this device could awaken you. Don't you think that aspiring water would be a far greater wake up call than a turkey yelling at you?

Thanks for posting this. I often forget to breath when I'm diving, so certainly having a gizmo that squawks like a deranged chicken is just the thing. I also think a device that inflates my wing at 150' and rockets me to the surface will be awesome. Although as the Doc at a chamber I volunteered at used to say, "We can fix bent. We can't fix drowned".

I think something that they should work on would be an upgrade with a remote trigger. When you are forced to dive with an insta-buddy who turns out to be a real piece of work, you could just remotely trigger his device and enjoy the squawking chickens as he is whisked away to the surface and out of your life. (Back in the olden days, we used to do this by detonating an annoying buddies CO2 cartridge on his "vest". The only problem was that they failed about 80% of the time and even if they did detonate, there wasn't enough lift at depth to do much of anything. Kinda like farting in a drysuit...

Back
Top Bottom