Diving after flying

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

As we all know, there is a lot of concern about flying after diving, does anyone have any scoop on diving after flying? You would think that all the same rules should apply but I don't know if they do. This might be alot easier than I am making but I am just wondering. Any comments would be appreciated.

Misfit Diver,
Not really the same at all. Dehydration from the flight and fatigue from the trip are the two primary concerns. Other than that, the pool's open.
Dive Safe,
Larry

When flying, you are in fact outgassing nitrogen. (and you thought that smell was that bean burrito you had at the airport lounge, well maybe it was, N2 has no smell...) However the air you are breathing will be very dry in the cabin of your average airliner. So, when they offer you a cold drink (soda pop, water, etc...), gladly accept and keep yourself hydrated. Failing to do so may result in cramps when diving, and an elevated risk of DCS.

For further info on how hydration effects DCS risk, go to the Ask Dr. Deco thread, or run a search on the topic.

Disclaimer: I'm not an MD, just a know-it-all diver with lots of opinions and a few usless facts.:rolleyes:

Statements cited from your post are in quotation marks.

"You can definitely dive after landing. That is not the problem."

Actually, as discussed in my post above, it may be a problem. DAN's statistics for '03 show that ~38% of diving injuries, and ~70% of AGE events, occur on 1st first day of a dive trip. Divers who arrive jetlagged, dehydrated, fatigued, and feeling lousy & irritable could arguably contribute disproportionately to these numbers. Best not to dive after landing unless you arrive alert, well rested, well hydrated & in good spirits.

"...the problem lies with flying after diving. If by any chance you have an airbubble in your body after diving...."

The bubbles that cause problems for the flying diver consist almost entirely of nitrogen rather than air. And, it typically is not just a bubble, but rather masses of bubbles that are responsible for problems.

When flying, "The bigger the change in pressure the greater the risk for arterial gas embolism."

The most frequent problem with flying too soon after diving is that the pressure change precipitates Decompression Sickness (DCS) rather than Arterial Gas Embolism (AGE), although the latter can have more serious effects.

Best regards.

DocVikingo

You're right. With air I obviously meant nitrogen, and the paragraph I pasted was not mine, but from a medical website. diving when you're not feeling well or dehydrated is never a good idea, no matter what the cause. I'm not a Doctor, I just wanted to point out the bits about flying after diving which you left out. The stats on dive injuries you mention vary depending on where you look for information.

after a few days of multi-level dives,i try to give myself 24hrs.,before i get in a plane that has an altitude over 10000 ft.
that works for me.:) oops i thought you were talking about flying after diving.

I'm sorry, but I can't believe you are serious. When you fly, you do not off gas more nitrogen than on the ground. Why? Because you haven't loaded more nitrogen at 1 ATM and the cabin pressures maintained throughout a flight are not significantly less than 1 ATM to cause a metabolic change in any "normal" nitrogen blood levels. Even so, if you did you would have no diffaculty in loading once in the water.

"Jet-lag" may be of significant concern, but this is no different than being tired from stressful situations - take a nap or get more rest before you travel! I personally aviod jet lag by preperation (be early, packed the day before, get to slpeed early the day before, etc.) and relax - don't sweat the trip and schedule non-stop flights. Have a drink to relax you durring the flight if you'd like, but not enough to have any significant alcohol remain in the blood-stream just before the dive.
Really - all the same rule apply, but not differently than being on the ground!

jhelmuth once bubbled...
I'm sorry, but I can't believe you are serious. When you fly, you do not off gas more nitrogen than on the ground. Why? Because you haven't loaded more nitrogen at 1 ATM and the cabin pressures maintained throughout a flight are not significantly less than 1 ATM to cause a metabolic change in any "normal" nitrogen blood levels. Even so, if you did you would have no diffaculty in loading once in the water.

<snip>

Really - all the same rule apply, but not differently than being on the ground!

Um...

Nope...

You are normaly "saturated" with nitrogen at sealevel to a PP(partial pressure) of approximately .79

When you dive, your tissues absorb more nitrogen due to the increased PP of the nitrogen that you are breathing at depth.

You absorb some oxygen as well, but much of the oxygen is burned up by metabolic processes so it isn't generaly an issue contributing to DCI.

On a plane trip, you ARE subject to LESS than 1 ATM pressure. If you were kept at 1 ATM the whole trip, your ears would never pop in an airplane.

Most airlines keep cabin pressures approximately equivalent to 5-7 thousand feet altitude. 2 of the reasons for this are that 1 ATM cabin pressure at 32,000 feet would put more stress on the airframe and AIR IS HEAVY. They don't want to pay for the fuel to haul more pressurized air through the sky than is really needed for passenger comfort and safety.

For example: a 747 carries many TONS of air in the cabin that must be accounted for when calculating the weight of the aircraft at altitude to figure fuel consumption.

In any case, YOU DO OFFGASS when flying in a pressurized aircraft over 6000 feet off the ground.

Just not very much. :wink:

If the flight were long enough, you would eventualy reach nitrogen "saturation" for the cabin pressure (same as if you climbed a mountain to 6000 feet and stayed for a while) and begin to ONGASS when you landed (or came back down the mountain).
It's for this very reason that some dive computer manuals reccomend that you DON'T TURN THEM ON during a flight or they might think a dive has begun when the plane descends for landing.

Then they are stuck in divemode untill you get on another plane and ascend to 'finish the dive' or pull the battery to reset the computer. I've personaly seen this happen to another divers computer.

You should also NEVER PUT THEM IN CHECKED BAGGAGE. The reduced pressure and extreme cold in the cargo hold (non-pressurized compartment on most aircraft) can damage some types of pressure sensors used by certain dive computers. Besides, you don't want what may be yor most expensive piece of dive gear thrown around by baggage handlers and burried under many other bags and boxes in the hold do you?

Some, like the cochrans, will even track the amount of offgassing from the reduced pressure of the flight and credit you on the first dive a tiny amount if the dive is soon enough after the flight and you havn't "theoreticaly" resaturated to sealevel yet... :wink:

Craig,

Thank you for the clarification. I had a bit different information from a pilot acquaintance regarding cabin pressures (or it was my misunderstanding what he told me ~ .9 ATA). I admit that I probably came off a bit too "absolute" in my response. I would have conceded that you actually do off gas - just that it is not significant enough to be a factor in diving following a plane ride (which was what his question was aimed at).
I was then curious to look at the ATA at 6000 ft.
5000 m/18000 ft altitude = 0.5 ATA
2500 m/9000 ft altitude = .75 ATA
1250 m/4500 ft altitude = .88 ATA

So 6000 ft ~ .82 ATA, which then gives us the partial pressure of Nitrogen = 0.79 * 0.82 = 0.69 atm.
This is almost identical to an EAN32 mix at 1 ATA

This also means that holds true for the partial pressure of Oxygen = 0.21 * 0.82 = 0.17 atm.
Down to ~ 0.16 atm, there is little to no risk of hypoxia (low O2) - at least no perceptual change.

Seems like the airlines cut it close - but it jibes with what you are saying (although I really doubt they push it beyond 6000 ft or .82 ATA).

Al-in-all, I'll stick to the "significant" qualification. There is no significant off-gassing and that would have little, to no bearing on the choice to dive right after a flight (think of how long it takes to get one's bags from baggage claim and count it as you SIT to "normalize" and I think you'll agree).

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom