Diving after flying

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

can be really really tragic here. You must off-gas, but you want to do it slowly to prevent bubbles from forming. Bubbles are a no-no! Flying can accelerate the offgassing (and bubbles) to an unhealthy "high".

Dear srobins:

Dive/Fly

The major problem in these pressure change scenarios concerns tissue microbubbles. It is certainly true that off gassing of nitrogen occurs on an airplane and that should be a good thing for a diver. However, we also encounter the enlargement of microbubbles from Boyle’s Law and this diver and fly sequence is bad.:boom:

Dr Deco :doctor:

Please note the next class in Decompression Physiology :grad:
http://wrigley.usc.edu/hyperbaric/advdeco.htm

It's a matter of the amount of gas (rate) expelled from the tissues which causes the problem. Off-gassing at a very low rate is desirable (maybe better to say that it is a lower risk for DCS/DCI). You can only do that if the PP of the gas is gradually brought to equilibrium. This is why you practice slow assents, have NDL and a safety stop - all in an attempt to prevent the PP differential from absorption being so high that your tissues are damaged from the size of the bubbles (or even worse, you may die from an arterial embolism) as the gas in the tissue expands (review Boyles law).

I'm glad to see that my question has generated such debate. It would appear that we all have different theroies and I have not been able to determine if there really is a right or wrong answer I guess it comes down to if you are prepared or not. I guess missing one dive to play it safe is woth it. I appreciate the response and would like to add the reply from DAN that I got concerning the same thing Diving after Flying

Diving after flying poses several physiologic issues to the diver.
Since the body's tissues will off-gas nitrogen and seek equilibrium during a
flight, it is conceivable that a diver may arrive at a sea-level dive site
with lower nitrogen levels. However, numerous factors, may affect the
body's rate for both gas uptake and elimination, and some tissues may take
hours or days to equalize with the new ambient pressures.

Is it reasonable to assume that a diver who has just arrived at his
or her destination, after spending hours traveling in a pressurized aircraft
at a cabin pressure of 8,000 feet, is at reduced risk for decompression
sickness? Not likely, since the diver's tissues may not react as expected,
especially when you consider other numerous conditions which may affect the
outcome. The dehydration that occurs from breathing the dry, recirculated
cabin-air, may seriously affect tissue washout of inert gas and place the
diver at increased risk for developing decompression illness. Aside from
the physiological factors like dehydration and fatigue, air travel may offer
psychological factors like disorientation and nervousness, all of which may
be predisposing to a dive accident. In general, if you are not feeling
physically and mentally well enough to dive safely, do not risk your safety
and well being, as well as that of your diving companions.

Divers Alert Network

I recently finished the classroom part of instruction and learned the guidelines for time between the last dive and the flight home. The instructor claimed this applied for diving after flying as well. I didn't see that in our text anywhere and wondered if it was an "urban legend" or if it is something I should consider on my next dive trip. If I fly into my destination, do I need to wait the recommended 12-18 hours (time frame for last dive before flying in a pressurized cabin) before I make the first dive?

I'm no expert, but since airplanes are pressurized to ~ 8000 feet, it seems like there'd be less nitrogen in your tissues, and diving might actually be a little safer. The only problem I can think of is that you may be a little dehydrated after a flight.

My $.02

sirwinston100 once bubbled...
.....guidelines for time between the last dive and the flight home...... The instructor claimed this applied for diving after flying as well. (?????) I didn't see that in our text anywhere and wondered if it was an "urban legend" or if it is something I should consider on my next dive trip. If I fly into my destination, do I need to wait the recommended 12-18 hours (time frame for last dive before flying in a pressurized cabin) before I make the first dive? [/B]

Let's think about this for a moment. When you go from sea-level to altitude (approximately 6000 to 6500 feet) in an aircraft cabin, you are off-gassing nitrogen, to some extent. If your flight is long enough, your body will equilibrate to normal saturation for that altitude.

When you come back to earth, you will "dive" to a lower altitude, in this case sea-level, and begin to on-gas. If you spend long enough at that altitude, your body will again equilibrate.

If, however, you jump immediately from the aircraft cabin into the water, you will begin your dive with LESS nitrogen in your system than if you were at your usual sea-level state.

In practice, you cannot take this into account for table purposes, but, in short, follow normal recommended procedure. Most people try to get in their first dive as soon as they can. Have at it, and have fun!:wink:

ppilot once bubbled...
The only problem I can think of is that you may be a little dehydrated after a flight.
My $.02
I believe you have hit the nail on the head. I read an article on that in DAN a short time ago. In fact the most recent DCI stats from DAN seem to indicate a higher incidence of DCI on the first day of a dive vacation.

So here is what DAN had to say about Diving After Flying: http://www.diversalertnetwork.org/medical/faq/faq.asp?faqid=56: Mild dehydration can occur on long flights, especially when travelers cross several time zones; alcohol consumption can also contribute to dehydration. Generally speaking, dehydration is thought to predispose a diver to decompression illness because the washout of inert gas (nitrogen, in diving) is less effective in a dehydrated individual.
If there were a relationship between diving after flying and DCI, we would expect to see a great deal of decompression illness on the very first day of diving -- indeed, some data suggests that there are more accidents on the first day of a planned multiday dive trip. Of the 88 cases reviewed from the Caribbean for 1994, 33 -- or 37.5 percent -- occurred on the first day. The remainder occurred on days two through seven. Given that there are thousands of tourist divers who fly to Caribbean and Pacific dive sites, these numbers are far too small to establish a cause and effect.

Although no one can insist upon a 24-hour waiting period after flying, such a conservative approach to diving after flying is a reasonable idea -- it gives divers an opportunity to rehydrate, adjust to a new climate and time zone, and rest up after a long flight.

In its very conservative recommendation, DAN forthrightly, and correctly, states that, "these numbers are far too small to establish a cause and effect" relationship.

However, DAN does not indicate how many of those DCI events occured in divers who got to their dive locations by means other than flight.

It also does not discuss plausible alternate explanations for the numbers that have nothing to do with a physiological predisposition to DCI brought on by flight. Explanations that would remain worthy of consideration even if the diver had only a short, relaxing drive to the diving venue, and even if he or she did wait 24 hours before diving.

At the least these would include that on the first day of a planned multiday dive trip the incidence of DCI may be elevated by mishaps related to:

1. Gear being vetted. Gear which may not have been used in some time, thereby requiring adjustment, refamiliarization & perhaps even missed servicing;

2. Diving skills being vetted. Divers who may be rusty, and excited and therefore distracted.

3. Unfamiliarity. The diver may not be familiar with the diving conditions & nature of the sites at the location, nor with the dive op & its practices. The dive op may not be familiar with the diver and his or her particular strengths and weaknesses.

I'm sure that I've missed some.

Despite this, DAN goes on to suggest a 24 hour waiting period between flying and diving for physiological reasons that are entirely preventable, i.e., dehydration, or not even germane to many dive trips, i.e., crossing several time zones.

Personally, given that it's reasonable I often dive as soon as possible after landing. For me, this means I just flew to Cozumel, not to Fiji.

I endeavor to drink as much as possible to counteract the drying effects of air at altitude, and avoid alcoholic & caffeinated beverages, starting several days prior to departure. I get as much rest as I can prior to and during the flight.

If I arrive alert, well rested, well hydrated, feeling fine & in good spirits, diving shortly after landing adds no additional concerns for me. If I'm jetlagged, dehydrated, fatigued, feeling lousy & irritable, then I usually save the scuba for the next day when I've recovered.

Like many things in scuba, it depends, and accurate risk assessement requires facts and thought.

Best regards.

DocVikingo

If you can plan your arrival to be late in the day at your destination, then you can eat dinner and get a good nights rest before you start scuba diving. This is what I usually try to do, when I can.

When I can't, then I like to spend the first day snorkeling.

Most scuba boats depart early in the morning anyway. So it is unlikely that your arrival would be early enough in the day to even catch a scuba boat for diving on the first day. Would it?

Back
Top Bottom