Diving after flying

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

It is safe to dive immediately after flying, assuming the plane has come to a full and complete stop.... and the pilot has turned off the fasten seat belt sign.

Todd

... or upon ditching, but if you use the emergency O2 remember the MOD
:laughing:
Seriously, TDunbar's answer is perfect!

On the serious side...

Make sure you are rested and properly hydrated. Both areas suffer while flying.

I just read this whole thread today and would like to share something that happened to me. I posted this before on the computers forum because I thought something was wrong with my Stinger.

On a 1 hour flight from General Santos City to Manila, Philippines my computer logged a dive of 4 minutes at 6 feet. This tells me the pressure at the altitude we were at.

You should have seen my face that night when I noticed the "No Fly" symbol on my computer.

Rick Murchison:
What we have here are different problems with different concerns. In the "flying after diving" instance, we're concerned about DCS developing from otherwise asymptomatic nitrogen loading when the pressure is reduced by going to altitude. There is no such concern when diving after flying.
However, when on an airliner for a long trip, dehydration and fatigue are often very real concerns that may be masked by the excitement of arrival... so it's a good idea to make sure you're rested and well hydrated before going diving after a long flight.
There is a very good table in the NOAA diving manual, by the way, for calculating how long you should wait to fly, based on your final repetitive group and your flight cabin altitude.
Rick

Amen to that Rick.

You can dive the moment you step off a plane - it's the other way around you need to be concerned about: flying after diving. There are various opinions on this and the general conscensus is leave any flying until between 12 and 24 hours after your last dive.

Stay healthy and dive safe.

I have jumped out of Blackhawks and Chinooks into the water..is that Diving while Flying..or Diving after Flying :wink:

I have read many topics on flying after diving, but I do not remember coming across a diving after flying. My question is is it safe? A 5 hour flight,3 hour break, then a 1 tank dive for 70 minutes to a max depth of 30ft.
Thanks
Steve

Short answer: yes.

Longer answer: if you feel physically fine, have ensured that you're not dehydrated (the air in aircrafts is *dry* and the flight-attendants tend to serve alcohol...), not tired (time-zone changes take it our of even the best among us) etc.....

I've done it many times: jumped off in the airport and gone diving prior to even checking in to my hotel. However many times I've also not felt up for it and taken a night -- or even two -- before hitting water.

Just be careful with flying after diving :)

Back
Top Bottom