Diving in Austin, TX

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I did a lot of diving over at LCRA park back in the nineties, and also at windy point.. if you're 1st or last you might get some decent visibility. You can dive right up on the Mansfield damn and it gets plenty deep 100 plus when the lake is full

Looking at the map, it's called the Mansfield dam park… It's obviously changed names.. If you look slightly to the West of the dam there's a cove that went pretty deep as well and it's nice and protected from boat traffic, look for "silent ridge"

* Windy Point - $10 on weekdays, $15 on weekends. It's an ok dive-park. Good for meeting other divers, especially on Wednesdays and weekends. There's probably a lot of stair-climbing with water-levels being absurdly low.
* Mansfield Dam - Free on weekdays I think. The scuba-park is separate from the swim area, although you can technically go wherever you like (just avoid the boat-ramp). An advantage here, is there's a very gradual slope, which is great if you need to practice skills.
* Lake Travis elsewhere - Most other locations in lake travis require a boat to access. There's a scuba-charter, although ... without getting into the drama, I really dislike the owner.
* Lake Georgetown - there's a free park on the north-east side with free entry. Normally it's a good spot, however the entry is challenging with it's low water levels have effectively created a sort of small "cliff" before you get to the water.
* Spring Lake (aka: Aquarena Springs) - One of the few pretty sites to dive in the area, but it requires a rather expensive "class," and then you're expected to do volunteer work while diving.

Outside that, you'll have to travel a bit. I've found divebuddy.com useful, either using the search-feature or scuba-earth.

The Have taken a couple of rides on the Giant Stride scuba charter on Lake Travis and had a decent time. More money than diving at parks, but you go to sites with no other divers, so the visibility is much better. They like to treasure hunt for stuff that falls of the party boats. But the lake is low this year and visibility is bad all over the lake

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom