Diving in Bocas del Toro: is it worth it?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

globetrotter

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
1000 - 2499
Hi all,

Headed to Panama at the end of May and am looking for honest feedback. My kids are too young to handle the conditions in Coiba, but Bocas del Toro keeps coming up in my searches. Seems like people either love it or hate it. My wife and I have been diving all over the world, and I am not looking for a Raja Ampat experience: just some good, low current diving for the kids.

Anyone taken a recent trip? Anything y'all would recommend (or avoid)? How are the reefs? Healthy? How's the viz? Any operators you'd provide feedback on?

Bocas del Toro is both the name of a town [on Isla Colon] and the Panamanian Province [state]. There are some nice dives around the Cayos Zapatillas which is east of Isla Bastimentos and Isla Colon. Best diving in the area, IMO. Isla Pajaro outside of Boca del Drago [far side of Isla Colon] can also be decent. Most of the other areas around Bocas [the town] are subpar. P.S. my opinions are from back when I lived in Bocas del Toro [the Province] and would dive, boat and fish the area.

I was there a few years ago and hired a captain in a smaller boat for the day out to Cayos Zapatillas. It was remarkably cheap - slightly above $100? We stopped at 2 snorkeling spots, landed on Zapatillas, and stopped at Red Frog Beach. It was great! Everything was on our time. Although I love to dive, decided that I got to see enough with basic snorkeling. I stayed about a 10-minute boat ride from Bocas town proper.

Back
Top Bottom