Diving in Cambodia and Vietnam

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

mermaidjade

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Hey, I'm in Cambodia now and heading south soon to Sihanoukville. Just spent the past month diving on the Andaman side of Thailand. I am looking for any advice to diving in Cambodia and Vietnam. I've done some research and know it may not be on par to Thailand, but still want to get a few dives in while I'm in these 2 countries. Specifically I'd like to know about any favorite sites in either of these areas and what stood out about them making them better/worse than other sites dove in the area. I of course have heard both good and bad things about the diving in both areas. Also I would really appreciate any unbiased recommendations for dive shops in Cambodia, or if there are any I should really avoid. Thanks so much.

Con Dao is supposed to be the best in Vietnam and Condor Reef in Cambodia (difficult to get there though).

Hi Mermaidjade!

For Cambodia, you’ve got to head to Koh Rong. The best dive in our opinion is Kon Kon, tucked between Koh Rong and Koh Rong Samloem. Here you will find a fantastic diversity of marine life. If you’re up for an adventure, Koh Tang will also impress. It’s four hours from the mainland but definitely worth the long journey. If you’d like some more information about diving in Cambodia and reviews of the dive shops in the area, you can visit: https://diviac.travel/d/cambodia/

In Vietnam, you’ve got the choice of the Con Dao archipelago, Phu Quoc, Nha Trang and the Cham Islands near Hoi An. Of these, Con Dao is the clear winner with pelagic encounters and Vietnam’s only dive-able wreck. For more information, take a look at our page on Vietnam: https://diviac.travel/d/vietnam/

Happy diving!

I was in Hoi An/Da Nang a few weeks ago and asked around just out of curiosity, noticing the ocean was rougher than the pics I'd seen. The two shops I asked said no diving there again until March or April. So I'd stay further south. Phu Quoc is near your location and easiest to get to. Con Dao is the best. Prices here also seem to be higher here than other SE Asia locales, just my $.02.

We were astonished when we arrived at Koh Rong Samleum bay where the dive shop is located! The beach is unspoiled though the pier, so it is gorgeous and peaceful. what a romantic site!!
We dived twice (DLD) and everything was perfect except for the visibility which was below average in the South East Asia...However, I truly recommend to dive there if you have the chance. The staff is very professional, friendly, practising safe responsible diving and make it more fun.
We also hike to the other part of the island through the thick wet forest. In one day hike you can reach the light house which has really nice views from the top.

I just did my first 2 dives in Cambodia. 7 years ago I was in Koh Kong and heard about the remote dive sites Condor Reef and Shark Island. 2 weeks ago I went back to Cambodia (and it is still by far my favorite southeast asian country). On the island of Koh Sdach it is now possible to dive these dive sites. I was told that seahorses and some tiny octopus are quite common at the local dive sites. I only had the chance to dive Condor Reef (34 km from Koh Sdach) and it was great. Maximum depth 21 meters, visibility between 20 and 30 metres, very interesting topography, 400 year old chinese porcellane and marine life typical for the Gulf of Thailand. It is quite expensive but I will definately come back. The dive shop owners are great too.

here are some videos shot with my 70 euros action cam

https://1drv.ms/f/s!Agok-XMIf9vk7C05m5bOtb6jbftX

Back
Top Bottom