Diving in FIJI ... ???

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Carpster61

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
Hi Everybody,

Was saving money to go to Australia from London to scuba dive various spots with a friend who is already over there travelling. She is going to Tonga to swim with the whales when she is on her way back to London. We have realised we wont have enough money between us to do the various diiving we intended in Australia with extra internal flights etc.

Looking at the map I saw that FIJI isn't too far from Tonga and that is obviously a dream destination. I have recommended that she goes to Tonga, then meets me in FIJI so we can have 10 nights there. That is going to be more sensible for me as I will only have one flight, therefore saving a lot on the flying I would have been doing around Australia.

I will get to the point now, can somebody please tell me the cheapest way to dive on FIJI ... Would it be to go on package deal or just to get air fare there, then sort accomodation and diving, or any other way ... ??? I looked at Liveaboards but they are like £3000 not including air fare. I will have about £4000 before airfare. I may even have to be funding a lot of my friends diving too. Just wanting the cheapest way to do 10 nights in FIJI with at least 1 dive a day. Any tips ... ???

Thanx for reading and Happy New Year ... !!! ...
04.gif

Bula Carpster61.
If you are flying into Nadi, the diving there is, well, crap, unless you either get your way to one of the other islands (Taveuni is on EVERYONE's map) or if you can make your way down to The Coral Coast, you can dive with us (Diveaway Fiji) or a bit further down to Pacific Harbor (The world famous Shark Feeding).
We have awesome soft coral, sharks, turtles, swim-thru's, pretty much everything.
Drop me a line - I can give you prices for accomodation, diving, transfers, etc.

info@diveawayfiji.com

cheers, Gary.

Bula Carpster61,

Since you're looking @ coming to Fiji, why not check out a couple of dive spots before you even get here. Some of the most famous dive areas are on the Bligh Water, between Viti Levu and Vanua Levu (two main islands). It's called the soft coral capital of the world.

Sorry, I'm Josh and I work for Dive Wananavu...situated on the Bligh Water. You can check our website on
www.DiveWananavuFiji.come or our facebook Page www.facebook.com/Dive Wananavu Fiji. Other good areas are around Savusavu (Vanua Levu), Taveuni and Beqa (especially for shark dives).

Send us a message on Facebook or e-mail us on diveshop@wananavu.com

Hope this finds your way.

Vinaka,
Josh.

Just an F.Y.I. When we stayed at Wananavu we were able to get out to the Bligh waters almost every day we were there! Awesome diving and fun resort!

Diving in the Bligh Waters, and the Lomovaiti group of islands in general is great. I have dove a lot in those areas and it is fantastic.

I have not been to Savusavu or any of that area as yet, but it is supposed to be some of the best diving in Fiji (Rainbow Reef and the Namena Marine Reserve)

Bega sees lots and lots of divers, and is reputed to be some of the best diving in Fiji as well......that has not been my experience. Other than the shark dive, I have not been impressed by any of the dives I have done in that area.

If you really want to do Fiji on a budget, there are some very nice backpacker accommodations (dormitory beds) available for cheap.

I am not currently affiliated with any of the ops of resorts in Fiji and would be happy to give you some tips if you would like to PM me about it.

Look at Australian dive travel agencies doing packages to Fiji - you can get good deals on their last minute specials, usually to Beqa lagoon. Something to bear in mind, Fiji is a popular destination for Aussies and kiwis and the main island is a bit touristy, especially around Nadi. You'll probably only get to Fiji once if you live on the other side of the world, so if you want to experience the real Fiji you need to get off the beaten track. Its worth the time and money to get to an outer island. Kadavu is quiet, relatively untouched and the culture is still very strong out there. I especially like Ono Island, stayed there a couple of years ago and had some great manta ray snorkels and diving was good too.

I recommend the shark feeding dive. Theres 2 wrecks during the dive too which I didn't expect. Also, night diving with Diveaway fiji based in the Hideaway resort was cool!

Just got back from a Night Dive. A few Silver Tips and a curious Turtle followed us for just over an hour. Or maybe a daytime dive on a 62m wall which you get to via 2 swim-thru's?

Back
Top Bottom