Diving in Ngwe Saung, Myanmar?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

boy22ban

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
I work in Yangon, and am looking to dive in Ngwe Saung which is the nearest and most feasible weekend warrior-type dive destination.

Anybody with experience diving in this region? Can you recommend a shop/boat/guide? Is it worth the 6-hour drive?

Thanks in advance.

If you make the drive and find a shop please post what you find out, there is very little known (posted in this site ) about diving in Myanmar outside of the Thai based liveaboards. I would happily make a side trip to Myanmar again if I had some ideas about where there might be dive support.

To me, the quiet and quality of the beach is worth the six hour drive alone. And to be honest, the drive isn’t all that bad. There are fairly good roads the entire way.

As far as diving goes, January and February are the best months for underwater life this part of Myanmar. Don’t expect to see anything too big and a lot of the coral in the area hasn’t quite recovered from the 2004 tsunami. Water temperatures are warm. You can usually bet on 26-27C in the first two months of the year.

Eskala Hotels and Resorts on the beach is a nice place to start from in Ngwe Saung. Also, talking to Scuba Zawgyi in Yangon could be of some use. They might run trips out to Ngwe Saung. You can also search our page on Myanmar for up-to-date information on diving in the area.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom