Diving in Norcal

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I just got the bare velocity 7/8 semi dry and I really like it. Hood is amazing, seals around wrist and ankles are great. Fits well. I can do up the zipper just fine. Used a beat up rental Hollis once and thought it was just pretty good but the difference between brand new and beat up rental is huge with wet suits. I Just posted my limited but positive (and wordy) experience in the "newly certified" thread started by someone in the NorCal forum...

Here is a copy paste of that post:

"I have some experience that might be contentious. I've been certified a year. Done 16 dives [as a certified diver]. 7 in Monterey the rest in the tropics. Of the 7 in Monterey: 2 dives in a dry suit with a 200 undergarment for my PADI dry suit diver specialty cert at 49-55deg and 4 dives in a brand new bare velocity 7mm/8mm "semidry" with attached hood, 1 dive in a beat up rental Hollis semidry. Temp hit 49F on almost all dives. Shore temperature was in the 70s. Dives weren't that long as I am new and diving an 80L tank. Went to as deep as 72ft in the new semi dry and about 45ft in the dry suit. Here is the contentious part: I was just as warm or warmer in my new semi dry than the dry suit. I don't have a ton of experience yet, a 400 undergarment would likely make a big difference and my opinions may change, but right now I'm loving the semi-dry. Out of the water, having a dry suit is definitely better. In the water, I really feel great in the semidry. I'm not doing huge underwater times, I'm not diving more than three dives in a day (not more than two so far), I have no idea how serious I'm going to get about going deep, long, or often in cold waters. For now, the semi dry is working great and at $320 on sale, I feel like it was a GREAT choice compared to $2500 for a dry suit. As an FYI you can rent a dry suit for $95/week from diver Dans in Santa Clara after you take your dry suit cert course. I took my cert course through them as a means to refresh and get cold water dive experience and liked it. I'll definitely dive dry again but for my purposes, owning a semi dry for regular use on random weekends in Monterey and renting a dry suit if I happen to do a trip I think warrants it is the right compromise...Also keep in mind that the semidry will wear out MUCH faster than a dry suit. The rental suit I used once was destroyed and nowhere near as warm as my new one. If I knew I was going to dive cold waters most weekends for the next couple years I would not hesitate to buy dry. I know that I could possibly go 6-8 months without diving once ski season is upon us..."

I guess a lot of it does depend on dive times, depths, and number of dives per day. I don't buy into the argument that a drysuit is always better in all situations no matter what. That seems to be more of a scubaboard thing than the real world, at least around here. I think that if someone is comfortable diving wet, loves to be wet with salt water and not sweat, and has no desire to do long deep dives, then a wetsuit is great. Wetsuits are economical, very low maintenance, less skipped dives because of issues, and clean up easily, dry quickly (at least the skin-in type) and can be used multiple days without stinky sweat soaked undergarments and the soggy inside of a drysuit.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom