Diving in Sri Lanka

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

just need to confirm some class dates and will let you know. can organize the dives as long as the sea is good. i know the guys at the dive shop well. i'm no longer part of it but i was actually one of the ppl who started that dive center :)

i'm hoping to check out another wreck thats not on the list in the next week or so.

Hi
The wife is plotting a trip to Sri Lanka in June I think...?
I'm the diver and would like to know what Sri Lanka has to offer. We are staying in Club Bentota.
I've read a little about diving seasons, but I'm not sure if these relate to the West cost?
I've also read a little of some of the wreck and TEC diving on the East coast which sounds fun.
I'm keen on underwater photography and dive mainly in Tenerife.
I would appreciate any help
Cheers
Graggs

West and south coast will be in monsoon and most dive centers will be closed. Ypsylon is a dive shop located very close to Club Bentota (across the river) and used to do some off season monsoon dives in the past. But expect heavy swells, strong currents and low viz. The good diving in June is on the east and most west coast dive shops move operations there from May-October. There is good wreck diving around Batticaloa and if you're tech certified you can dive the "HMS Hermes". Batti also has some shallow wrecks and reefs and June generally sees calm seas and good viz. Further north, Trincomalee has some decent shallow reef dives a ciuple of wrecks. Trinco is more developed than Batti in terms of hotels and dive shops.

Overall the southwest will have rough seas that time of year and both the beach and the sea wont be at its best. But since its off season you should have lower prices and smaller crowds.

Hi Nishan,
Thank you so much for your comprehensive reply.
This might explain the cost of the holiday?
I think we need a re-think? If we are going to enjoy Sri Lanka it makes sense to go at a better time of the year?

Thanks again
Graggs

Depends on what you are after. Its definitely not the best season for swimming and diving on the southwest coast. If you want decent (or any) diving you would want to be on the east coast. you can always chill on the beach but the sea is usually rough. If you plan to see some inland attractions (and there are plenty of them) its a good time because prices are a bit lower. If you are planning on a beach vacation on the southwest coast then Nov-Apr is the best time to go. But of course prices tend to be higher. Right now demand is higher than supply for hotels and they are cashing in with some high rates.

Btw, if your into tec or wreck diving you should dive in either Batticaloa or Colombo. Batti has tec dives to the Hermes and several other wrecks while Colombo also has some great wrecks. Although Colombo is not the best place for a beach holiday for a non diving partner :)

THanks Nishan,
I took the liberty of looking at some of your pictures on your web site....very nice.

G

Great info, I am landing in Colombo Mar 28 and hope to dive 29th or so...a wreck dive or two is probably what I want. I have very limited time as I have only 9 days and trying to squeeze in a trip to Kandy and 2 day Safari in Yala as well :)
If I had to do only 2 dives (a shame I know) around Colombo and 2 other dives in the Yala area (Southeast) which wreck/sites should I do?

I am thinking Basses in Yala (I have heard this is one of the best sites in Sri Lanka) and then 1 other wreck site in Colombo...

For the Basses how exactly do I get there if I am doing a safari in Yala, is there a dive operator that can take me there do the dives and then drop me back to some place? From what I have read the dive industry in that area does not appear very robust...nor does transportation links.

If you were to pick 2 sites in Colombo and like wrecks, do the Cargo Wreck and the Medhufaru Wreck. Both around 20 mins boat ride, easy profiles, intact ships of 90-100m in length and good fish life. The Basses has good diving but getting to them can be complicated. No dive operators in Kirinda (the closest town). Some dive shops from Hikkaduwa organize special trips but you have to book ahead for the whole trip usually or else its local divers organizing a trip. I might be there with my dive club in April but not confirmed yet. If, (and thats a BIG IF) the trip happens and the dates coincide you are welcome to join us. To be honest trying to do a day of diving on the Basses might be tough. Just visit Yala and if you have time do a few more dives somewhere else where there is a local dive shop. Btw try to visit Yala on a weekday. Its a great park but has become terribly overcrowded and is worse on weekends when you can expect 20 jeeps parked around a leopard!!!!!

Nishan, thanks so much for the information. Yes, I think I am going to skip Yala diving and do dives around Colombo :)

Hi divers,

Now the season in the west and the south will come to an end, we are moving to the East coast.
we have our dive center in Trincomalee open. Conditions are good.

Early April we will open up the Only tec dive center of sri lanka in Batticaloa. We will be located at the Deep Sea resort.
We have a lot more to offer in Batticaloa.
World war wrecks. Hms Hermes, MFA Athelstane, British Sergeant, covett - Holyhok etc.

For recreational divers we have a lots of rocks and reefs full of marine life.

Please visit DIVING IN SRI LANKA !! PADI COURSES!! TEC DIVES TO THE WRECK HERMES!! - Home
Happy diving
feli
Tec deep instructor

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom