Diving In The Biggest Opalmine Of The World

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Germie

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
# of dives
2500 - 4999
In januari I was asked if I wanted to join a team to make some pictures in an opalmine in Slowakia, the biggest of the world. I did not hesitate and said yes.

So last week my buddy and I loaded the car and we drove the first day about 1100 km to Poland. The next day we had to drive another 350 km to Slowakia to the hotel we slept. The last 350 km took 6 hours due to small roads and going over mountains. But it was a nice way to drive. We looked on arrival at the mine. That was closed, but we found some other old entrances and took some pictures. In the evening we met the photographer from Belgium and we discussed how we could assemble the flashes on the cylinders.
In the restaurant they did not speak English and the card was only in the Slowakian language. But we ordered some nice dinner.

The next morning we met our guide and drove to the mine. Helmets where required.
It was a 300m walk through tunnels and then a 100 steps stairs down to the water. So it was not easy to bring all our divestuff there, but we managed. In the mine the temperature is whole year 4-5 degrees and the watertemperature was 4 C with a Ph of 3. So the water was acid. The humidity of air in the mine is 98-99%.
Because of a lot of minerals the walls in the mine have lot's of colors. We see some bats too.

2a00oc7.jpg

ae5yrk.jpg

The mine has 22km of handmade tunnels and 5km of them are flooded.

We do 2 dives a day. Divetime around 60 minutes, but 1 dive was 80. Total number of dives 5 in 3 days.
mwz8xs.jpg

k0lcus.jpg

The visibility of the mine is unlimited, it is like above water. So strange. But one bad finkick and you get a siltout.
On some places, iron is 'leaking' out of the wals. It looks so strange, and the smallest disturbance will break this. It looks a little bit like made by spiders.
v83fnp.jpg

28b5qma.jpg

2uos079.jpg

1zm1lz6.jpg

There are such a lot of details to be seen. Every dive we dive different tunnels. The max depth we reach is 36m. We dived most on the 26m level.

144b8tu.jpg

10rj1ft.jpg

k0oc9i.jpg

We where the first Dutch divers in this mine and the first Belgium diver. I have dived serval mines, but this one was different from the others. It was absoluty worth this 1500km drive one way. Much better than 'colorfull fish on a reef' :D

Very cool, thanks for sharing the photos.

A pH of 3 seems pretty acidic. Were there any observable effects of that on your skin or equipment?

pH = 3 is like diving in vinegar. Probably did a great job of cleaning the crud out of your 2nd stages :cool:

Your pictures are not loading for me, is there an external link?

I did not feel the acid water, but I tasted it accidently and it was horrible. After the last dive my rebreather took a bath in the hotelroom and at home I have rinsed all my other divestuff.

I see the pictures. Strange
Do you see this one? it is made by the photographer

1rp1qs.jpg

I did not feel the acid water, but I tasted it accidently and it was horrible. After the last dive my rebreather took a bath in the hotelroom and at home I have rinsed all my other divestuff.

I see the pictures. Strange
Do you see this one? it is made by the photographer

1rp1qs.jpg
No image

I can see them just fine. Love the last pic..

Strange, I see the pictures, and I believe others too? I just uploaded them with Tinypic. Have you blocked that?

I can see them just fine. Love the last pic..
Sorry for the wasted bandwidth. The work VPN I was on was blocking the images.

Very nice shots, thank you !!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom