Diving in Valencia, Spain?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

chrisculina

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
# of dives
I just don't log dives
I'm contemplating a trip to Valencia, Spain in January or February. I'd appreciate any info on interesting dive sites, dive shops/clubs , tour operators, etc. :)

Wow... nothing since Dec! Well I too am looking into a trip to Spain, but more along the lines of Nov-Dec of 2011. We would like to go for our honeymoon and since we are both divers, I would love to do some diving as well. Any input is appreciated!

The best diving in Spain is in the area called Costa Brava. That´s the coastal area in the region between Barcelona and the French border. The most famous dive sites in that area you will find in the village of L´Estartit. For diving in the mediteranean the dive sites there are great. This results from that they have a marine conservation area for meanwhile nearly 40 years.

As a dive center I can recommend you the Unisub Centre. It is existing for about 45 years.

Sorry, but because I don`t have enough post here, I can`t post their URL, but you will find them via google. Just enter "unisub estartit". They will appear as the first in the list. Just enter their site and there you will find an English version as well. The owners are British.

Sorry, I have overseen that the time you plan to go there is November or December. That is not the preferred time for diving in the Mediterranean. In that time the water is quite cold and most divers – if they are diving in that time – are using a dry suit. Take me for example. I am living in Turkey and I switch to my dry suit somewhere in October and I usually use it till the end of June.:)
Also the weather is not very comfortable at the time. Usually it is quite cold, wet and stormy.
Therefore most of the hotels in that area close at the end of October and they reopen somewhere in April. The same is for the dive centers. So check out early enough if you can get accommodation for that time and if any dive centre is operating.

Thanks for the info! I did find during some research that Nov would not be the best time to go. When do you think the earliest in the year would be then? We could always postpone our "honeymoon" until the next year if we needed to. I think Spain would be interesting and would like to consider it even if it means waiting.

I have read that May is really the earliest time of the year, and that September would be the latest. Would you agree with that?

I would not agree completely.
May as the earliest time in the year is ok. In May and June the weather usually is fine and it is not to hot (about 25 – 30°C). Also it is not so crowded, but the water temperature is quite low (about 18°C). July and August it is very hot (about 40°C +) and crowded, because there are summer holidays in most European countries. The water temperature will rise above 20°C.
In September the weather is still fine with temperatures about 30°C, the water temperature will be about 24°C + and it is no longer crowded. The October is quit similar. Only in the nights temperature starts to drop and maybe there will be the one or the other day with some rain.
For my opinion September and October is the perfect time for travelling to Spain and diving there.

I am now living in Spain and agree with everything explorer08 has said. Barcelona would be a great place to go. If you want to visit the south of Spain, there are some great dive spots down there as well and will have a higher average air temperature.

Hello, I`m living since 2 years in Valencia - Spain. There are many good dive spots in Valencia Community but almost all of them are located outside Valencia city towards Alicante area. I have mention a couple of them in my website: Home - Diving Valencia
The diving season for wets starts in May and finishes in November, in the rest of months normally we use dry suite. If you visiting Valencia and you want to make a dive you can feel free to contact me.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom