Diving incident at Eagles Nest Sink

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I see the OW students do it in the pool while I'm practicing. I think I'll have to start experimenting with taking off my doubles rig wearing a dry suit. It's going to be ugly.

I see the OW students do it in the pool while I'm practicing. I think I'll have to start experimenting with taking off my doubles rig wearing a dry suit. It's going to be ugly.
It's easier in sidemount.

Which is supposed to be taught in OW. Supposed to be.

It was and I did. But later on in my own equip when I practiced this I quickly and was confused when I floated to the top and found myself tethered by the skin of my teeth on the reg. In class I had weight belt. My gear is integrated. DHO :facepalm:

I've had my first stage tangled in fishing line on a night dive. I'm not sure what would have happened, had a dm not stumbled by and noticed that I seemed to be stuck in the mucky bottom. Even my buddy was just watching me, thinking I was working out a bouyancy issue. I've wondered many times since could I have removed my bcd (if that would even have been possible from the position I was stuck in) and thereby saved myself. I've become entangled twice more over the years though not by fishing line nor so severely. So far, I haven't needed to removed my bcd to disentangle. I've helped two others that have had problems, one of them with his buddy, no where in sight.

This thread is deeply affecting and while it certainly doesn't specifically relate to my typical diving, I'm still getting some very good take aways.

Thanks everyone.

I've had my first stage tangled in fishing line on a night dive. I'm not sure what would have happened, had a dm not stumbled by and noticed that I seemed to be stuck in the mucky bottom. Even my buddy was just watching me, thinking I was working out a bouyancy issue. I've wondered many times since could I have removed my bcd (if that would even have been possible from the position I was stuck in) and thereby saved myself. I've become entangled twice more over the years though not by fishing line nor so severely. So far, I haven't needed to removed my bcd to disentangle. I've helped two others that have had problems, one of them with his buddy, no where in sight.

This thread is deeply affecting and while it certainly doesn't specifically relate to my typical diving, I'm still getting some very good take aways.

Thanks everyone.

I have cutting knife snapped on BCD outside pocket for such situation.

UOTE="Dan_T, post: 7813085, member: 477433"]I have cutting knife snapped on BCD outside pocket for such situation.[/QUOTE]

That only works if the diver is aware of what's causing the problem. In my case, I had no idea why I was stuck and neither did my buddy. The dm coming in from a different angle was able to see the problem or perhaps he felt in in his efforts to get me up.

In the other cases, my reghose (s) were caught on coral, and /or outcrop. Stop, think, act, worked in both instances despite one of them being in a ripping current that had me twisted upside down and hung up. Being upside down, I had the advantage of watching other divers pass on by . . .something that I don't believe I'd have done were the dive bootie on the other foot.

Ok I keep quiet and listen a lot but one question keeps going thru my mind that I have not seen addressed much in the forum..

From the report, one diver his CC loop was open and out of his mouth. The inhale side of the loop was crushed. Question is: Did this damage come while exiting the restriction or after his unconsciousness?

I have only seen one post that said maybe the pressure from the depth crushed the loop once the dilute ran out or hitting the surface of rock in the cave. Maybe the damage to the loop happened in the restriction, He goes on OC as bailout and exits the restriction. Then Second diver gets stuck in restriction removes CCR and drops it exiting restriction causes a silt out and has buoyancy problems. Now both are now on OC as bailout. It has been assumed here that the diver who had on the CCR that it was operational until the end.

I am not the expert , I am an OC cave diver, so I will defer to the experts here on CCR to look at it from this different angle for educational purpose. What caused the loop failure by crushing and when it happened would make a big difference I think... Ideas ?

Ok I keep quiet and listen a lot but one question keeps going thru my mind that I have not seen addressed much in the forum..

From the report, one diver his CC loop was open and out of his mouth. The inhale side of the loop was crushed. Question is: Did this damage come while exiting the restriction or after his unconsciousness?

I have only seen one post that said maybe the pressure from the depth crushed the loop once the dilute ran out or hitting the surface of rock in the cave. Maybe the damage to the loop happened in the restriction, He goes on OC as bailout and exits the restriction. Then Second diver gets stuck in restriction removes CCR and drops it exiting restriction causes a silt out and has buoyancy problems. Now both are now on OC as bailout. It has been assumed here that the diver who had on the CCR that it was operational until the end.

I am not the expert , I am an OC cave diver, so I will defer to the experts here on CCR to look at it from this different angle for educational purpose. What caused the loop failure by crushing and when it happened would make a big difference I think... Ideas ?

The onboard dil was drained and his offboard dil source (LP 95) was drained and connected. Once dil was exhausted, diver could not maintain loop volume and out side pressure crushed it. Very unlikely loop was damaged in restriction.

The onboard dil was drained and his offboard dil source (LP 95) was drained and connected. Once dil was exhausted, diver could not maintain loop volume and out side pressure crushed it. Very unlikely loop was damaged in restriction.

Since the crushed hose is in the suction side, could it be possible as the system cooled down to the ambient temperature, the internal gas pressure also dropped to a slight vacuum & crushed the hose?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom