Diving incident at Eagles Nest Sink

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

What would be the reason you want to remove & replace your BCD underwear?

I just dove with a resort in Roatan that had a wood platform off the back of the boat, rather than a ladder. It was tricky to get out of your gear and hand it up while bouncing in the chop. I eventually saw another diver get out of his rig at the safety stop, hold his BC in his hands, and hand it up as soon as he surfaced, avoiding the entire drama on hanging onto the trail rope while removing the BC. I ended up doing that for the rest of the vacation. There was no reason to put my BC back on, but I have no doubt that I could have done so if necessary. It didn't occur to me until now that others didn't do the same likely because all of their lead was on their BC.

I'm sure this is a stupid question, but as a newbie OW (only) diver, I've got to ask. Is it impossible to buddy breathe from a CCR?

I'm sure this is a stupid question, but as a newbie OW (only) diver, I've got to ask. Is it impossible to buddy breathe from a CCR?

Not impossible, but extremely difficult and without both divers being practiced and proficient at it would mean a flooded rebreather and death to both divers. If it came down to me buddy breathing my rebreather with another diver, that diver is SOL since it is not a risk I am prepared to take.

Huh... I've never really sufficiently considered this point before regarding integrated weight, but now, yeah, it would be quite interesting trying to remove/replace my BC at depth with integrated weight only.
I had to do this again when I took solo and at the time I had a weight integrated BCD. My solution was to remove a weight pouch, stuff it in my wetsuit, do the procedure and return the weight to its pocket. Worked well for this scenario.

I have seen videos of open water dives doffing and donning midwater by just spinning around while balancing the BCD above them.

There are a couple of dead divers who took off a BCD to pass up forgetting that they had a weight belt on.

With a buddy next to me I experimented in a local quarry taking BCD on and off. I dive integrated weights. FIrst time was a pain but not too bad. Second time with dive shorts on it was easy. Just put the weights into the shorts pockets. Without shorts I can clip the weights onto fins or put in boots to keep me weighted down since I have some spare clips on me and use soft weights.

I had to do this again when I took solo and at the time I had a weight integrated BCD. My solution was to remove a weight pouch, stuff it in my wetsuit, do the procedure and return the weight to its pocket. Worked well for this scenario.

Has worked for me also. The point is to keep the weights on you somehow.

My doubles setup has all the weight in a v-weight and the backplate. Totally inaccessible while wearing the rig. So yeah, need to play with this in a swimming pool with a bailout.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom