Diving near bridges ILLEGAL???

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

i would assume that there is a list of "targets" that fall under the security umbrella of DHS. and that all bridges are under thier jurisdicton but may not be important enough to warrent the additional prohibition of certain pracatices that the DHS may impose. IE a bridge in mid kansas on some country road vs. a bridge supporting a main highway that carries trafic to stratigic areas, military areas, power plant access roads, waterways if blocked would prevent passage of ships, evacuation routes ect. And which ordinance, code, or statute would be quoted on the ticket? violation of DHS act ##.##.#### or patriot act clause ####. Anoher example is you may be able to malinger in a city park but not at a community water supply/resavoir or refinery under similar provisions.

i would assume that there is a list of "targets" that fall under the security umbrella of DHS. and that all bridges are under thier jurisdicton but may not be important enough to warrent the additional prohibition of certain pracatices that the DHS may impose. IE a bridge in mid kansas on some country road vs. a bridge supporting a main highway that carries trafic to stratigic areas, military areas, power plant access roads, waterways if blocked would prevent passage of ships, evacuation routes ect. And which ordinance, code, or statute would be quoted on the ticket? violation of DHS act ##.##.#### or patriot act clause ####. Anoher example is you may be able to malinger in a city park but not at a community water supply/resavoir or refinery under similar provisions.

There is no such code as "DHS act" nor "patriot act clause".

Local police can only enforce local and state codes, not federal.

Reservoirs are often used for fishing and diving.

Refineries are private property.

There is no such code as "DHS act" nor "patriot act clause".

Local police can only enforce local and state codes, not federal.

Reservoirs are often used for fishing and diving.

Refineries are private property.

Stop spoiling the paranoia!

funny-pictures-cat-man-tinfoil-hats.jpg

If a cop wanted to be an ass (I am talking a really big ass); he will give you a ticket for diving under a bridge.

Now why would a cop EVER do that........? :idk:

To answer the question though, I believe diving under bridges can be illegal. I know it was illegal to dive around the I-90 bridge in Washington a number of years after 9/11. Im not law expert, so I couldnt tell you who made the laws, but the general consensus among divers seems to be that the laws were there. Call the sheriffs department for the county of the bridge in question. They may be able to answer it or direct you to someone who can. I called about the I-90 bridge and they linked me to a list of all the diving regulations. That bridge was not listed as one as of 2012. Good luck figuring it out!

If a bridge is posted one cannot fish, swin, dive, or crab around it.

It is very straightforward, there will be a sign on the abutment listing what cannot be done and the authority to do so.....

The Feds cannot create trespass law for non fed property

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom