Diving near bridges ILLEGAL???

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

The Feds cannot create trespass law for non fed property

I know you're a cop and that you know that...

but it's surprising the number of cops that have no clue about the law.

A few years back we had a rise of prostitution in parts of town where we live. They were trying to flag people down on the streets to pick them up. Lots of residents complained. So they police went out set up a big "sting operation", caught them "red handed" on video tape, etc. and arrested them.

Turns out we didn't have any law on the books that made prostitution illegal.

The cops went to all this effort, but never bothered checking the law for what they were charging them with. go figure.

I know you're a cop and that you know that...

but it's surprising the number of cops that have no clue about the law.

A few years back we had a rise of prostitution in parts of town where we live. They were trying to flag people down on the streets to pick them up. Lots of residents complained. So they police went out set up a big "sting operation", caught them "red handed" on video tape, etc. and arrested them.

Turns out we didn't have any law on the books that made prostitution illegal.

The cops went to all this effort, but never bothered checking the law for what they were charging them with. go figure.

I am retired now...yuor post did cause me to spray my monitor as I had amouthful of coffee.

I actually have seen jurisdictions that do similar dumb things.

I watched another jurisdiction arrest a bunch of "B girls" and then let them all go because they had no actual charges..

(B girls are the ones who sit in your lap and solicit "champagne" (apple cider) for 100 dollars a pint, then pick the change up and pocket it)

Open carry laws are one that a lot of LEOs don't know or care about. Recently a guy was arrested for legal open carry, he sued for illegal arrest and the police department ended up buying him a new motorcycle.

Open carry laws are one that a lot of LEOs don't know or care about. Recently a guy was arrested for legal open carry, he sued for illegal arrest and the police department ended up buying him a new motorcycle.

Yeah.. I've noticed that in arrests, videos on TV, etc... that when a person they stop legally has a gun on them, or in a car, they make a capital case out of it.

I remember a video (dash cam) of a guy up in I think Ohio or Indiana that the cop abused him after he found out he legally was carrying a gun.

The guy got arrested, his civil rights violated. Luckily the dash cam was able to help save him. I think the cop was fired.

---------- Post added ----------

Here's the video of the incident I was referring to.

During the stop the cop told the guy

“as soon as I felt your gun, I should have took two steps back, pulled my Glock 40 and just put 10 bullets in your ass and let your drop. And I wouldn’t have lost any sleep. Do you understand me?”

[video=youtube;kassP7zI0qc]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kassP7zI0qc[/video]

It took a while, but he was finally fired for what he did.
http://www.cantonrep.com/news/x638339306/Daniel-Harless-fired-from-Canton-police-force

Although he violated the guys civil rights. No charges were ever filed against the cop. :shakehead:

Just make sure you have a dive flag with you...lol. The last time I dove the Blue Heron Bridge the sheriff's officer was giving out tickets to divers on the shore for not having dive flags. Was told its $75 for not diving with a flag. He was filling out a ticket for another diver and called me out of the water too...after I asked him a ton of questions, he told me to go drop my gear and come back. Needless to say if a cop tells me to go drop my gear before he gets my info; I aint coming back!...lol

IT IS HARD TO BELIEVE that someone can miss the entire intent of a comment. perhaps you should read the laws that grant the authorities to DHS. You would probably find they have the authority to do such things. DHS act.... Is just a substitute name/phrase for the actual authority they operate under. I guess when all else fails NIT PICK

There is no such code as "DHS act" nor "patriot act clause".

Local police can only enforce local and state codes, not federal.

Reservoirs are often used for fishing and diving.

Refineries are private property.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom