diving philippines on a budget, is it possible?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Deva

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
have always wanted to visit and dive the Philippines LOVE S.E.A.
so my question is thus, is it possible to dive there on a budget? I am thinking of a month long trip in mid april to end of may. ( or this nov. if I find some crazy deals on diving)

doing a bit of research I was surprised at the price of diving there. I was hoping it was more like Thailand were you still can find some package deals.
I would love to visit a few of the island mosly I am in to colorful reefs with lots of biodiversity of soft and hard coral. but would enjoy some WWII wreak diving as well.

so to sum it up I plan on a backpacking trip with lots of diving is this possible?

1. Public transport is cheap and easy but very slow.
2. Language is never an issue.
3. Island hoping is fact of life for the local. But I would avoid to travel on a banca at night or early evening.
4. Nov is toward peak season while Apr/May is definitely on the low side.
5. Cheap accommodation is not readily available as Thailand because there are a lot less backpackers visiting the country. AFAIK, Peter's Dive Resort in Sogod Bay is the only resort offers dormitory. While Harolds Mansion is smack in the centre of Dumaguete. Apo island is stone throw away.
6. WWII wrecks are most accessible in Coron but slightly off the beaten track. SS Panay in Sipalay is probably the only one that I can think of and is slightly over 40m deep.
My suggestion:
Fly into Cebu and bus to Moalboal(Ocean Safari Philippines). Bus and ferry to Dumaguete and then another ferry to Apo Island. From Dumaguete get a bus to Sipalay(might have to change bus enroute, expect 6-7hrs minimum). Finally bus to Bacolod(6hrs) and then fly into Manila for your connection home.
If you want to add Sogod Bay into your itinerary then fly into Tacloban, bus to Sogod Bay(3-4hrs). Ferry to Cebu City..

Central hit the nail right on the head for the best diving at the cheapest prices, along with the cheapest travel options.

thanks guys,
yeah I dont mind talking buses, ferries etc. as that all part of the fun.
i'll looked in to those dive resorts/dive shops there seam very reasonable. thanks :D

so I am guessing the more popular islands the diving will be more $$ correct? like coron and bohol.
hows the diving around boracay and el nido? they seam to be a popular backpacker spots.

are there any backpacker style live a boards i need to know about?
and the question I always ponder for a backpacker it to carry around my full dive setup or just bring travel kit ( mask, comp. snorkel, reg, booties ) and rent the large things like BCD and fins?
I will be taking days off from diving to explore the islands, like to see the chocolate hills, clime mnt. mayon etc.

the more I am looking it to it the more I want to go now :)

1. Demand and supply! Competition usually brings price down eg. Puerto Galera. Dive can be as cheap as P1,000.00 with everything included and room for P500.00 per night.
2. Diving around Boracay and El Nido is no where near as good as others.
3. The most popular and great liveaboard diving in the country is Tubattaha(Mar to June only). Easy Diving in Sipalay runs interesting itinerary.
4. Renting equipment will eat into your budget but gear is heavy to carry around especially on jeepney(local bus)
5. Mt. Mayon and snorkelling with whaleshark in Donsol is an option. But the places are away from most popular diving areas.

Don't tell me you want to see the Rice Terrace as well!!
Southern Palawan is one of the least visited area in the country. If you can accept mediocrity(diving) then Palawan is the place to explore.

Last edited:
haha visit the rice terraces..well the thought did cross my mind. not sure I will. need some land actives to dry out...
yeah sounds like i'll just rent fins & BCD. there always a pain to lug around.

in hind sight I wish I would have spent more on my dive computer and skimped on the BCD. oh well live and learn.

I am really excited about the Philippians. I hear nothing but good things from the divining to the ppl.

sweet I am will come up with a idea of islands to visit and run it by your guys to make sure i am not missing anything..

thanks for the feedback
cheers

In most areas of the world with shore diving , the non local dive staff will know of good value accomodation. There are home stays and similar in Malapascua , Dumaguete and Southern Leyte and possibly other areas. I had a two month trip a few years ago and bargained harder than I usually do to get good prices. Where I went into a shop and said I want to do x number of dives and much budget is y ...they said fine.

You will love the. Philippines , we are going back at Christmas.

Where else have you been diving? When you were in Thailand where did you dive? I have been to both places and dove land based and live aboard. Go to Bohol, and also pay attention to the east side of Panglao island. The province of Cebu is just west of Bohol, go to Malapascua or Moalboal (west side of Cebu. The Philippines has 7100 islands. To many places of the beaten path that still have great diving. I am biased because I am Filipino. The biggest difference will be the people. As mentioned ,earlier, most people understand and speak English. Stay away from Boracay if you want to go diving. If you want a night life scene find somebody to hang out with in the metro Manila area, or go to Puerto Galera where you can dive and have fun at night.

Where else have you been diving? When you were in Thailand where did you dive? I have been to both places and dove land based and live aboard. Go to Bohol, and also pay attention to the east side of Panglao island. The province of Cebu is just west of Bohol, go to Malapascua or Moalboal (west side of Cebu. The Philippines has 7100 islands. To many places of the beaten path that still have great diving. I am biased because I am Filipino. The biggest difference will be the people. As mentioned ,earlier, most people understand and speak English. Stay away from Boracay if you want to go diving. If you want a night life scene find somebody to hang out with in the metro Manila area, or go to Puerto Galera where you can dive and have fun at night.

sorry I thought I answered this. I have dove Belize, Hawaii and Thailand in thailand Phuket is where I did my DMT then went back and dove Koa Toa.

I did not make it in the fall so hopping to get there in the spring. still a good time to visit with weather and visibility and such?

Back
Top Bottom