Diving The Maldives On The Emperor Voyager

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

drbill

The Lorax for the Kelp Forest
Scuba Legend
Rest in Peace
Reaction score
# of dives
2500 - 4999
I'm looking at booking back-to-back one week trips on the Emperor Voyager in the Maldives soon. I was wondering if anyone on DB had had fairly recent experience with them. I've seen a few very good reviews.

Now I understand why I got such a low rate. I thought monsoon season began in June. I should have done more in depth research. Oh, well... at least I'll finally see some real rain (since we've been in a drought for the past five years)

I think you should be fine. It sounds as if you will be hitting the change over from the north-east monsoon (dry) to the south-west monsoon (wet) - not the hard core main wet season months.

Whilst you can read of people getting 3+ days of continuous rain, I don't believe that's been the norm in most recent years. I've done 2 wet season lob's in the Maldives & they've both been excellent. Generally a couple of hours of torrential rain a couple of times each day, then brightening up between storms. It didn't really affect the diving much - though naturally, the reefs get a bit less well lit in overcast weather.

The main adverse effect was that when the winds got up, the seas got lumpier & pick-ups at the end of the dive were sometimes in quite lively swells.

Have a great trip.

Wondering if anyone has direct contact information for the management of the Emperor fleet in the Maldives? I wanted to contact them. TIA

I did write those e-mail addresses recently, but didn't even get a response.

I had booked two weeks on board the Emperor Voyager. I didn't receive their 60-day cancellation policy until after I paid for the trip. I should have asked ahead of time of course, but there was nothing indicating I would cancel. I considered trip insurance, but there was no foreseeable reason to get it. I've never had to cancel a trip except for mutually agreed upon reasons.

A day before I was to leave I had emergency life-saving surgery and the hospital wrote a letter stating that there was no way I could travel or SCUBA dive. The people I initially contacted several days prior to the first trip's departure said there would be no refund. They also must have been a bit confused as they contacted the hotel I was to stay at wondering why I hadn't arrived at the boat the day of departure. This several days after they had been informed I could not make it.

The Emperor fleet has had good reviews from several different sources, so I was obviously quite disappointed with their decision. I would have gladly accepted a credit towards a future trip as I still intend to go to the Maldives in the near future.

I did write those e-mail addresses recently, but didn't even get a response.

I had booked two weeks on board the Emperor Voyager. I didn't receive their 60-day cancellation policy until after I paid for the trip. I should have asked ahead of time of course, but there was nothing indicating I would cancel. I considered trip insurance, but there was no foreseeable reason to get it. I've never had to cancel a trip except for mutually agreed upon reasons.

A day before I was to leave I had emergency life-saving surgery and the hospital wrote a letter stating that there was no way I could travel or SCUBA dive. The people I initially contacted several days prior to the first trip's departure said there would be no refund. They also must have been a bit confused as they contacted the hotel I was to stay at wondering why I hadn't arrived at the boat the day of departure. This several days after they had been informed I could not make it.

The Emperor fleet has had good reviews from several different sources, so I was obviously quite disappointed with their decision. I would have gladly accepted a credit towards a future trip as I still intend to go to the Maldives in the near future.
I'm very happy (and relieved) to hear you'll be OK.

Was I asleep, or is the the first time you've publicly mentioned the surgery?

I don't think I've mentioned the surgery here on SB. Apparently it was my fourth bout with appendicitis in several months, but my doctor had diagnosed it as probably irritation of the gall bladder, so when the symptoms reappeared I assumed it would go away like it did the previous times. Ended up being evacuated at 3:00 AM on a Coast Guard helicopter to a mainland hospital. I'm fine now, albeit a lot poorer due to the trip loss and medical expenses. I mentioned to the operator that it could have been a LOT worse had this happened while I was on board.

Back
Top Bottom