Diving Tip of the Day... For Dummies.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

CuzzA

Wetwork for Hire
Reaction score
I acquired some new dive equipment and wanted to test it out in my pool this afternoon. Of course, summer's here and the pool feels great so no wetsuit needed. Well, after about 10 minutes from doing about an hour of testing and practicing stuff, I'm standing in the shallow end of the pool with my 3 year old working on his swimming and I feel something in my pocket. "Huh, what the hell is this?", I thought to myself.

image.jpg

Btw, my phone was in a life proof. Fail!!! Anyone else have a good dummy story?

Hard to tell ones has a pocket full of rice :)

In Scotland, I wandered down to the dive boat from my B&B in my jeans and jumper, and changed into my drysuit at the boat.

After the dive, I went back to the B&B in my drysuit. I had left my keys, wallet and mobile on the boat.

I saw a pod of dolphin feeding on a bait ball once. I grabbed my camera and quietly slipped into the water. I kicked on my back with short, slow fin kicks. When I finally got near enough to see them underwater I realized I forgot my mask on the boat.

I got back from a dive in FL and as I was taking my wetsuit off I felt something in my board short pocket. Forgot to take out the keys to the car....oh well it was a rental. Fob worked for about a day and then died

I told the story about being fin-less walking into the water (fins back at the trailer). Was I gunna "walk" the dive?
Another one was my first time DMing assisting with (2) OW courses at the ocean. The other DM asked me to look for a lost weight since I was having some down time. I went in-- no weight belt on...I told all that my tank valve was faulty and needed to go to the car to switch tanks, where I quickly donned the belt. What an idiot.

My dive tip of the day-always check the zip on your wetsuit.

Dive 3 of OW and first dive of the day so geared up and walked to the entry point (about 300 yards). Did my BWRAF checks and got in for the swim out. Nice gentle swim out on my back where we were going to drop down. Ok to the instructor, thumb down, start descent and immediately bolted upright. Instructor surfaced with a look of panic on his face as he didn't know why I had shot up. Explained that an ice cold deluge of water had shot down my back through the open zip. Cue doing the gear removal and replace.

Never been allowed to forget it by him

Another one was my first time DMing assisting with (2) OW courses at the ocean. The other DM asked me to look for a lost weight since I was having some down time. I went in-- no weight belt on...I told all that my tank valve was faulty and needed to go to the car to switch tanks, where I quickly donned the belt. What an idiot.
Been there, done that…
As a young DM I was so concerned with making sure that everyone on the boat had all their equipment on that I forgot to check my own equipment and ended up jumping off the boat without my weight-belt on, I quickly turned toward the boat only to see the senior DM standing by the ladder holding my weight belt in his hand and smirking from ear to ear.

Yeah, to follow up-- When at the ocean with a class, at some point I usually got away to my own car to gear up. Then over to the group to assist with stuff, etc. Even when just diving with a buddy, I always had to make doubly sure I had all my stuff together if engaging in conversation while gearing up. Though one rarely does these days, I also have trouble conversing with someone while writing a cheque (check) to pay him for something.

Just a tip regarding the phone. Leave it in the rice for at least 2 days, a week would be better. If it turns on back it up immediately, you may only get one chance. My daughter had her phone in her back pocket while using the washroom. She stood up, the phone went for a swim. After 3 days in the rice I was able to get it powered up only once, luckily I was able to back it up on the computer before it died for good.

Back
Top Bottom