Diving Tip of the Day... For Dummies.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Haha sounds good! We shall see if this dummy can make it.....o_O I will end up using it for a line cuter or some other kind of contraption that I can come up with for sure... Thanks for the idea!

For what it's worth I use the reflection of the front glass of my Petrel as a mirror for self bubble checks.

My dive tip of the day-always check the zip on your wetsuit
Same dive I left my keys in my pocket I broke my zipper before getting in. I was being an idiot and tried to hop up and down and pull it up. I should have asked for help. Chilly dive with an open back. Luckily a place where I live was able to fix it for $30.

I swear I'm the goofiest person alive.

My first (and only regular) buddy forgot his mask once in May. 15-20' dive in Nova Scotia, good viz, so he figured to just stay on the surface and look at me below sans mask. That didn't last long in 43F or so water.

On our first trip to Bonaire walk/shuffling out till we would get deep enough I kept getting sand in my booties so I became good at removing my fins then removing my booties and emptying out the sand. On about the third day I did this in about 30 feet of water but dropped a fin. I started looking all around, swimming in circles looking on the bottom for it (I now know how a NASCAR driver feels- I circled alot). My dive buddy finally pointed up at.the surface (yes I could see her laughing thru her regulator). Had those fins for 15 years and never knew they floated. I bought new fins 6 months ago- first question I ask was do the float? Do your fins float or sink?

All fins should float. I know there are reasons some don't but still.

A couple more tips:

1. IP67 classification isn't good enough for 45min @20m. Found that out the hard way when I forgot to take my GPS receiver out of my thigh pocket before splashing.
  2. When you assemble your camera rig to take pictures of your child's first post-cert dive, do remember to mount the flash on the camera before putting it in the housing because if the camera doesn't flash, your strobes won't fire. And a hand-held dive light doesn't give the same coverage as a pair of strobes do.

I store my speargun bands in a bag inside my home off the gun so the silicone doesn't dry rot. My first spearfishing trip I was really excited and I threw the bands on the gun with just the wishbone through the muzzle slot not thinking anything of it as I rushed at 5 am to head to the dock. We got out to the dive site, I gear up and splash. As I'm starting to descend I see a couple of bands floating away from me. I thought, "Dammit, how the hell did that happen?" I retrieve the bands and slide the wish bone over the slot and proceed to begin my descent again and once again there goes the bands floating away. This time I said, "ok 'dummy', pull the rubber through the slot!"

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom