Diving with BP/W - learning curve?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Around here, you'll have no problem finding experienced BP/W users to give you a hand.

Thank you for the advice. To be honest, I did not consider the placement of weight belt in relation to the crotch strap. A very important point indeed.

Since you do not use the crotch strap on your BP/W, do you set your shoulder straps tighter to keep everything secured to your back when you're on the surface?

I just ordered my rig from Deep Sea Supply (SS plate, Hogarthian Harness, Torus 26 Wing, 6.4 Lbs bolt on weight plates). I will try to put it together first (here's hoping anyway!) and ask for an expert to check that everything's set up right, before I dive in it. As well, to check for any adjustments that need to be made.

Sounds like you ordered an excellent rig and I'm sure you will be happy with it! I used some of the internet sources to initialy set up my harness and found them to be excellent... Think I looked at the DIR stuff.

I generally don't wear a crotch strap when I know that I will not need to put a lot of air in the bc/wing when diving. That occurs in warm water when I am wearing a thin wetsuit. When there is little wetsuit compression to offset, I need little air in the wing when diving. With just a little air in the wing, I personally don't find much benefit with the crotch strap, but it IS more comfortable on the surface with a crotch strap.

For colder water, thicker suit and therefore more air in the BC that is tugging on me at depth, the crotch strap makes the rig noticably more stable. For me, the crotch strap is an inconvience and I avoid using it when the "cost' outweighs the benefit. Most BP/W users feel otherwise and will always wear the crotch strap.

I have tried the Hog harness myself for a while and I did not find it optimum for me. I personally like to have the ability to adjust the strap length underwater and on the boat. There are difference harness options that allow this and I think everyone will agree that they are suitable for most all recreational diving situations.

If you (eventually) select a harness that is adjustable (via plastic clips or sliding belt), the issue of trying to precisely adjust the harness goes away. That is one reason why I like an adjustable harness, because I can change exposure suits and not have to try to manually adjust stiff belts that are fixed on a backplate. Also, you can tighten up the shoulders in an instant if you like, if you feel the rig riding up on you. There is no need to keep the shoulder straps so loose that you can easily remove the rig at say the surface in an emergency (or to climb in a small boat).

Also, I do not like the Hog harness because it does not provide any cross chest support. I much prefer the stability that a cross chest strap provides. It presents a very slight impediment to putting the rig on and off, but for me, the benfits outweigh the drawbacks.

The weight belt issue is a real one, if you are worried about maintaining ditchable weight. But there are other options, including ditchable pockets you can mount on the harness, or something like the DUI Weight&Trim harness with the ditchable weights. Many of us have come to the conclusion that, especially if we are using a dry suit, ditchable weight is not that big a deal, and that we can't envision a situation where weight would have to be ditched instantly. (Ditching a weight belt from under a harness simply requires undoing the waist belt and letting the crotch strap fall, and takes a few seconds.)

Really, the best way to work through all these things is with a mentor, and you've got a great offer already.

BTW, I never dive my rig without the crotch strap, because I don't like having the first stage hit me in the head if I go head-down.

Thanks TSandM--good point about hitting your head on the first stage. That would definitely be a major plus to using the crotch strap.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom