Question Diving with Gout?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

plaamook

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
I'm wondering if there's any particular danger in diving with gout...assuming I can get my fin on!
I know DCS risk is increased around certain injuries but I've never seen this addressed. Could be one of those things that's actually improved with a bit of squeeze.
I'm not planning anything particularly racy. Just some 20-30m dives without deco.

Anyone? Docs?
Cheers

this is a very old thread, please don’t wake it :wink:

its something to read while you get ready to post your question in the dive medicine forum where a dive doc will see it and give the latest info, if it’s changed.

Thanks.
I’m clearly not searching w the right words. 🤷‍♂️

I have gout but controlled by medication. I know most of the trigger and also notice the early signs of an attack, pain in big toe. At the first sign of symptoms I have meds to limit the attack. No issues with diving.

I'm wondering if there's any particular danger in diving with gout...assuming I can get my fin on!
I know DCS risk is increased around certain injuries but I've never seen this addressed. Could be one of those things that's actually improved with a bit of squeeze.
I'm not planning anything particularly racy. Just some 20-30m dives without deco.

Anyone? Docs?
Cheers
My thought would be to reach out to DAN Divers Alert Network and Duke Dive Medicine. it's best to talk with the experts on this. good luck :)

I was diagnosed with gout 40 years ago. For the past 35 years i've been taking 100 mg Allopurinol daily, with no side effects and no attacks. Works for me.

I dove with undiagnosed gout for years up until the last year when I finally saw a rheumatologist and I went on 200mg/daily Allopurinol which has kept my uric acid levels in check. I might even be able cut down to 100mg soon but my doctor wanted me to wait before lowering the dosage.

Prior to this, I got gout frequently in my ankle and on occasion knee. I still dove and honestly felt like the cold water and compression helped. I medicated a lot with ibuprofen. Not saying it was smart but even on my worst attacks I was still able to swim and frogkick.

I did plenty of 50-70m dives weekly and some long cave dives during all this. I had no issues personally but I can't speak for everyone. To my knowledge I never experienced any localized DCS symptoms (or any DCS for that matter) when I was having a gout attack.

TL;DR - I'm on allopurinol now and I have not gotten any attacks since my uric acid levels has been lowered.

I appreciate the replies.
Thing is I don’t get it often so I’ve not bothered w the meds thus far. Colchicine looks interesting as you can drop some as and even. But I haven’t had it in years now. Maybe five years. Seems to be something like stress related. Can’t see any other connection. My diets pretty stable.

Point of all this is there’s still some swelling but I can get a fin on. So I wanted to see if there was any common sense related to it and diving etc.

Back
Top Bottom