Diving with Salt Water Crocodiles

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Saltwater crocs were very rare in south florida but preservation efforts are having an effect. Several have been seen around biscayne bay and two have taken up residence on the U of Miami campus. They caught one but the other has managed to avoid their best efforts. I imagine in a few years there will be some problems, kind of like reintroducing grizzlies into an area. It should be interesting.

The accompanying text is false, however. The photos weren't taken at Cross Lake, Louisiana. Jenkins says she was about 40 miles south of Savannah, Georgia, on her way to start a prescribed fire at Harris Neck National Wildlife Refuge, when she spotted the gator making off with its lunch from her helicopter (which does not belong to KTBS-TV in Shreveport, by the way).

My question is, what was she doing with the deer in the helicopter in the first place?

crpntr133:
Jenkins says she was about 40 miles south of Savannah, Georgia, on her way to start a prescribed fire at Harris Neck National Wildlife Refuge, when she spotted the gator making off with its lunch from her helicopter (which does not belong to KTBS-TV in Shreveport, by the way).

My question is, what was she doing with the deer in the helicopter in the first place?

hehehe... talk about a misplaced modifier. good one. and how did
the gator get into the helo to get her deer?

"when she spotted, from her helicopter, the gator making off with its lunch."

I saw a great pic of a small crock checking out a photographer in PNG. A smack on the snout with the housing sent it on its way. Good thing it wasn't one of the biggies. I've dived areas in PNG with mangroves all around that would be perfect habitat, but have never seen one. I know they were there because we were eating an awful lot of crock meat on that trip. YUM!!

I did a report once for my Marine Biology class about salt water crocs, the biggest has been 33ft and they are mean and eat anything. You couldnt pay me to do it.

Salt water crocodiles are not indigenous to North America. The crocodiles found in the souther part of Florida are caymans. They don't get to be very large.

Many people often confuse crocs and alligators.

hmmm.... not sure i agree there, Kraken

both cocrodylus porosus (salt water crocodile) and crocodylus acutus (American
crocodile) belong to the crocodylidae family.

the caymans belong to the alligatoridae family, and are related to the American alligator (alligator mississippiensis).

the American crocodile is in fact a crocodile, not a cayman, and is often
called the "American salt water crocodile," and is indigenous.

maybe you are thinking of caiman crocodilus (common caiman),
which WAS introduced into Florida from Central America.

Yep, that would be the one.
But we don't have the genus of the one like in Austrailia, right???

lol no!

Back
Top Bottom