Diving with Salt Water Crocodiles

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Hes not asking about FL he asking about the GBR.

i've addressed questions about Florida alligators/crocs/caimans
posted as part of this thread, though i am aware that the original
question was about the GBR.

What is called a salt water crocodile, or saltie, in Australia, is not really a salt water crocodile. It is more properly called an estuarine crocodile. Here is a link: http://animal.discovery.com/fansites/jeffcorwin/carnival/lizard/estuarinecroc.html

This is one very nasty critter, and people do die from its sudden and ferocious attacks. Australians give it plenty of respect. As its name implies, its home is the dark and ugly brackish water found in estuaries. It can live in salt water, though, so it frequently will check out the coastline for suitable prey.

If you are thinking of diving the GBR, though, relax. They don't go around patrolling the sea. Their ventures into salt water are generally close to home.

boulderjohn:
What is called a salt water crocodile, or saltie, in Australia, is not really a salt water crocodile. It is more properly called an estuarine crocodile. Here is a link: http://animal.discovery.com/fansites/jeffcorwin/carnival/lizard/estuarinecroc.html
"Estuarine Crocodile" is a common name just like "Saltwater Crocodile", and therefore not ranked under taxonomic standards of accuracy. But they're both perfectly valid as common names. Saltwater croc lives in saltwater, which may or not be "brackish". Brackish water is still "saltwater", it's just not "oceanic saltwater". Technically anything over 0.5ppt can be construed as saltwater, but that's getting really silly.

To be quite honest, I have never heard of the aussie croc referred to as an "Estuarine Crocodile" ever, even in taxonomic reporting. It must not be popularly used. "Estuarine" doesn't really roll of the tongue easily or quickly, hence it's paucity in common name listings. I can't think of a single species off the top of my head that has "estuarine" or "estuary" as part of the common name, however there are a great many that incorporate it into the species name (i.e. estuarensis).

That weblink is displaying a species name incorrectly. It's a very common mistake, however.

boulderjohn:
What is called a salt water crocodile, or saltie, in Australia, is not really a salt water crocodile. It is more properly called an estuarine crocodile.

well, "estuarine crocodile" is just another common name for C. porosus (also
known as the saltwater crocodile). they're one and the same.

other common names for C. porosus are Australian Saltwater Crocodile, 'Saltie', Indo-Pacific Crocodile (not generally accepted), Singapore small grain (probably due to resemblance to C. siamensis), Baya, Buaja, Buaya maura, Gator (regional Australian name, not to be confused with A. mississippiensis), Gatta Kimbula, Gorekeya, Kone huala, Jara Kaenumken, Pita Gatteya, Pukpuk (Aboriginal name), Rawing crocodile, Semmukhan Muthlelei, Sea-going crocodile, Subwater crocodile, Man-eating crocodile

(got the info here: http://www.flmnh.ufl.edu/natsci/herpetology/brittoncrocs/csp_cpor.htm
i'm just an amateur)

according to the article, though, you're right that, technically speaking, it's
not an "open sea" (i.e. 100% salt water species). it does have a high
tolerance for salt water, and it can travel over hundreds of miles across sea
routes. however, it prefers to hang out in either brackish water near the
coast or inland rivers and swamps.

H2Andy:
according to the article, though, you're right that, technically speaking, it's
not an "open sea" (i.e. 100% salt water species). it does have a high
tolerance for salt water, and it can travel over hundreds of miles across sea
routes. however, it prefers to hang out in either brackish water near the
coast or inland rivers and swamps.

You are correct Andy. Aussie sea crocs aren't oceanic. But it and the American croc are so salt tolerant, it doesn't make much difference. Many of the coastal habitats these critters prefer living in are pretty dang saline, easily approaching and often reaching full sea strength (33-37ppt).

The aussie sea croc is the only living form that routinely swims out in the ocean. To see true sea crocs, one would have to go back in time to the Jurassic, and catch a metriorhynchid sea croc. But they look more like sea monsters. Many folks wouldn't immediately recognize them as members of the crocodyliform clade. Then again lots of extinct crocodyliforms lines would have this problem... few would believe that hoofed "panzercrocs" galloped around the early Cenozoic, chomping ancestors to deer and horses. I love panzercrocs.

lol, i love the name "panzercroc"

and now, Edwin Rommel and his Panzercrocs perform "The Producers"

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom