DIY Slates

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I use the back of "for sale" signs. They cut with scissors and are so cheap that if they break, I don't care. You can get all different sizes too.

The large overhead signs (about 18x36") you see in Home Depot and Lowes are easy to cut (score with a knife and snap it on a counter top) and work very well. A lot of times when a reset is ordered, the replaced signs are thrown away.

Break apart old floppy dics. I use a regular pencil on a bungee to write on them.

Break apart old floppy dics. I use a regular pencil on a bungee to write on them.

problem with that is finding floppies anymore... i can't remember the last time i used one.. :(

instead of a regular pencil -- what about a "grease" pencil? if anybody remembers those

I buy white styrene sheets like this from the local art supply shop. A few bucks each. Each sheet can be cut in half for 2 PADI size slates. I write with an acrylic pen for permanent writing before diving.

I use styrene sheets cut and drilled for bungee attachment. For pencil I recommend solid graphite pencils (non woodless kind). Wood pencils expand and contract with pressure and water temperature. Have pencils tethered with latex tube wrapped around non-pointed end and tied to bungee to sheet. Put a simple key ring on it and stainless steel clip on as well. For cleaning slate I use a Mr clean magic eraser.

I've heard of people modifying floppy disks to be used as slates

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom