DM ? what's the role of a Dive master

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

DMs around S.E.Asia tend to be one of two varieties;

1) Shepherd/Babysitter: Leading a flock of [-]sheep[/-] divers around a dive site and generally providing all necessary functions to stop said customers from prematurely and permanently ending their herd existence. Does all dive planning, equipment set-up, fixing any problems, navigation, safety assessment and generally taking every and all decision that needs to be made. Becomes the responsible buddy for every diver in their care.

2) Underwater Guide: As above, but doesn't give two hoots about customer welfare or safety. Jumps in, swims around and is always pleasantly surprised if a majority of the divers happen to surface in their general vicinity at the same time as them. When divers don't surface at the end of the dive, gets primarily concerned about being late and missing dinner/drinks/upset girlfriend etc.

Glad those aren't the only 2 choices. :) I want a good briefing and show me critters that are hard to spot. Thanks. If I know the area skip the above but have someone on boat to help me with gear (ladder is tough with knee replacement). Double thanks, Your tip will be worth it.

our LDS provides A dm free of cost on every dive day. its a way to look out for the clients, equipment and boat

So does ours, to describe the dive site and check the DAN tags to make sure that everybody is back on the boat before leaving.

Other than that, "bring a dive flag" and "don't run out of air" pretty much covers it.

flots.

To unnecessarily drive up consumer costs and provide a security blanket for poor divers.

If you are boat diving, you are in a group, not alone. People in groups tend to behave stupidly even if they are otherwise decent divers. Add this to diving on a boat bobbing in the ocean on a boat with its own issues and the number of divers doing 2-4 sequential dives, the odds of something going wrong increase substantially.

Think about it, even if you are a good diver (we all think we are), if Bubba screws the pooch on the dive trip (gets lost, hurt, etc..), your dives for the rest of the day may be effected also.

The best DM was in France (where DMs aren't even recognized). Super briefing, together with the captain they dropped the shot exactly where he said, and then after about 25 minutes he free dived down to the deco bar to make sure we all had enough air for our deco stops and that everything had gone OK. He didn't dive but was ready to deal with all eventualities. He also knew the site very well and gave many good suggestions on the dive plan, and the order in which to see things.

No noise, no fuss, everything was just right.

Jon

our LDS provides A dm free of cost on every dive day. its a way to look out for the clients, equipment and boat

Either (1) the DM isn't being paid or (2) the DM isn't free and is being built into the dive cost.

I think it's a very regional thing.

When I was doing divemaster DM's were primarily used by instructors to keep track of students, set float tubes, carry stuff, assist students in set up, go along and make sure everyone's air was on, help people in and out of the surf, etc. Basically free slave labor for the instructors.
Most of us just got into DM for the comeraderie and to stay in "the loop". I don't know of one person that I was associated with that actually went to work as an actual DM for pay (as low as it might be). It seems the internships in my neck of the woods can drag out for years, and a lot of people get fed up and just quit figuring 'what's the point'.

It might be different in tropical destinations where they need people to lead tourist dives etc. but around here the only place remotely resembling a DM position might be the dive boats in Monterey, or a dive shop DM that might lead a personal tour of a Monterey/ Carmel shore dive. I'm three hours north from Monterey Penninsula and there ain't squat up here, you're on your own.

I beg to differ. The role of DMs seem to have evolved from the traditional role of dive organizer/dive leader (as we normally see in Coz for example) to the one of something closer to assistant instructor. Certain charters will employ them on boats in non diving and diving capacity while LDS/instructors will be using them to oversee the equipment logistic of the course and to accompany them and the students in the water as watch dog and/or...assistant instructor related role.

PADI do have rules concerning the use of DMs for qualified diver activities. Those rules apply via the PADI IRRA (resort & retailer association) membership standards. So, if the dive operator is a 'PADI Dive Center' or 'PADI Resort' (regular or 5-star), then;

Regarding recreational scuba diving/snorkeling activities:

18. Ensure that a certified and renewed divemaster, assistant instructor or scuba instructor is present and supervising all snorkeling or recreational scuba diving tours offered by the dive business.

Either (1) the DM isn't being paid or (2) the DM isn't free and is being built into the dive cost.

You might want to check where eternaljonah is talking about. We provide a DM on every dive, essentially to act as a critter-spotter and at least try to ensure as many of a dive group as possible are looking in the right direction when something big swims past, as well as help people with their kit and ensure safety in the boat. Is it built into the cost of diving? Sure. But the DM's salary, compared to the cost of petrol here, the cost of importing motors or spare parts, the cost of maintaining two compressors and providing clean air, the cost of maintaining dive boats, is utterly trivial. If we didn't provide a dive guide, the difference in price would be minute. And you'd have a much less enjoyable holiday experience. That is true of many of the world's less-developed countries.

As to whether our DMs are there to 'provide a security blanket for poor divers', well, some of our guys go out of their way to help their customers at all times and do end up assisting unskilled divers. Or you could end up with me as a dive guide, in which case - as long as you're not wearing rental kit :wink: - you're on your own...

Back
Top Bottom