Do I need a wet suit in Cozumel

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Hi Ayesa,

Sure I do. Dzul-Ha Reef takes about an hour to leisurely snorkel around. Nice, too.

Hasta luego,

DocVikingo

Hey,

After 2 trips to coz., I found a 3m shorty is fine but it depends on how many dives per day really. As for water temp, my first trip was in Jan and at the surface it was 82 and 78 at 127 ft. Most ops wouldn't take anyone on the C-53 without a full suit though....

good luck

m

Just got back from Coz on Wednesday. Did two dives per day. My computer read 82 degrees at max depth every day. My 3 mm shorty was good, but I did get a bit shilly soetimes and I dont get chilly often. I recommend a 3mm full. Just my $.02.

Hi gang,

I am new (just now starting my training) and will be in Cozumel on the 17th of December (2004). I am planning a dive there and wonder what the water temps might be around that time.

I will be in Grand Cayman the day before. Would anyone know the temp there as well? (Taking a cruise that week).

Thanks,

Charley

Was just there last week. Everyone was wearing wet suits except us on the first dive we were concerned but after the first one we realized they are not necessary we want down 85ft the water was still 80 degrees. The only day we were cold was when we came up for our rest between dives and it rained, but they let us jump in the ocean to warm up. We are also from Michigan and I did my open water in November without a dry suit.

I cant imagine any salt water diiving where some skin protection is not advisable from critters coral etc. I choose a full body 3 mm sometimes with a light hood if jellyfish are present or suspected. Quite a few people react badly to the stings.

CharleyT:
Hi gang,

I am new (just now starting my training) and will be in Cozumel on the 17th of December (2004). I am planning a dive there and wonder what the water temps might be around that time.

I will be in Grand Cayman the day before. Would anyone know the temp there as well? (Taking a cruise that week).

Thanks,

Charley

Around 80 degrees, but if they have a Norte come through the air will be chilly. We were there last Dec and I had a 2ml on and I was cold. My husband wore a 3ml and was comfortable.

I've done Coz in the summer and in the winter. If you have a tendency to get cold then wear a wetsuit. If you don't tend towards getting cold, and aren't doing a lot of dives, then enjoy the freedom of diving in a bathing suit. I looked at my log book and the bottom temperatures 50- 100ft have been between 78F - 82F. I've never noticed any thermal cline, but have noted that it is sometimes a few degrees warmer at depth than it is on the surface. Coz is a good choice. Have a lot of fun

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom