Do you dive with a snorkel!??

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Snorkel in pocket. I use it at the end of the dive if I'm on a <cattle boat> to be the last one in, yet still keep over 500psi in the tank.

I like to get the most out of the dives on vacation...

Told myself I wouldn't post again, but must say that I agree with Thal. I would assume those not carrying a snorkel have yet to dive in conditions where it might come in handy. If this never happens, I guess a snorkel would never be of use.

I dive with one when conditions may require it. Inland lakes and quarries - No. It stays in the gear bag. Ocean dives - yes. rolled up in a pocket.

... would assume those not carrying a snorkel have yet to dive in conditions where it might come in handy. If this never happens, I guess a snorkel would never be of use.
That's kinda the point. There's a trade off. You pay with marginally more drag and having to exercise more care when deploying a long hose and such, you gain by doing things the same way all the time, keeping more gas in your tank and being better practiced and prepared. For me the return is greater than the cost.

For me, no, I don't use a snorkel and if conditions look rough enough to warrant one, I may stuff one (if I can find it) in my DS pocket.

Hello, I am trying to get some input on who uses snorkels and who does not. Is it safe to not dive with a snorkel? Why do people choose to not use them?

I do not carry one for diving, but I have been known to use one when I go snorkeling. :D

If I felt like I needed to take one diving I would probably pick a model I could stow. I feel that wearing it on my mask causes unnecessary drag and could actually result in a mask getting pulled off; plus they're just always in the way. Frankly, I feel safer and more comfortable without it.

Last edited:
I haven't needed a snorkel yet. But maybe the Puget sound isn't harsh enough conditions to warrant having one.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

I use my snorkel a lot. I wouldn't dive without it.
Surface swims with my scuba are snorkel and compass. Exploring or relaxing between dives is done with my snorkel (and the scuba left attached to my kayak) If the surface is choppy I especially want my snorkel because breathing from your reg while bobbing along at the surface always feels like a huge waste of available down time to me. Although, I guess I'm more comfortable at this point with my snorkel than I am with the feel and bulk of the regulator stuck in my mouth. That might change as I get more experience.

Told myself I wouldn't post again, but must say that I agree with Thal. I would assume those not carrying a snorkel have yet to dive in conditions where it might come in handy. If this never happens, I guess a snorkel would never be of use.

Just because it's not on my mask doesn't necessarily mean I don't have one. I do, it's in my BC pocket. If I need it I will take it out.

I always, ALWAYS use a snorkel attached to the left side of my mask. I normally use it. Just if I need to wait my dive buddy in the water. If I need to do a surface swim, etc.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom