Do you dive with a snorkel!??

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Status
Not open for further replies.
That's kinda the point. There's a trade off. You pay with marginally more drag and having to exercise more care when deploying a long hose and such, you gain by doing things the same way all the time, keeping more gas in your tank and being better practiced and prepared. For me the return is greater than the cost.
Could you explain how to use a long hose with a snorkel? Seems like it would tangle up the hose and pull off your mask.:idk:

:zen:

In the last seven years and about a thousand dives, I have never had a dive where I wished I had a snorkel. IF I were diving somewhere where one had to do significant surface swimming in CLEAR water, I might use one (we missed a pair of turtles in Maui once, swimming in on our backs) but in Puget Sound, you can rarely see anything beneath you. It's actually worse to swim face down, because it's harder to navigate.

I have had a couple of moderately exciting ends to dives, where we came up into rough water and had to swim for it. I have yet to say, "Gee, I wish I had a snorkel."

Ive been finding out very slowly that the snorkel can be a problem. I use a long hose and doing s drill with the snorkel yelds a 75% chance of failure . It also gets confusing with the inflator. Ive opted to not use it on boats. But if I have to swim out to a reef from the beach ill have my snorkel.

I always, ALWAYS use a snorkel attached to the left side of my mask. I normally use it. Just if I need to wait my dive buddy in the water. If I need to do a surface swim, etc.

After 30+ years diving mine is still attached to my mask when diving. The amount of gas I've saved waiting for others to sort themselves out is unbelievable. Not that I get longer bottom time, because we still have to surface when they've used up their gas.

Oh how I like diving with the macho tech wannabees, got all the gear, but no idea what it should be used for.

I generally don't dive with a snorkel because it gets in the way while I'm filming in tight areas, especially with overheads. There have been a few times a snorkel would have been nice, but not necessary. If I had pockets (I wear a soft harness and wing), I'd consider one of the roll-up ones, but 99.9% of the time I see no need for one.

I'm in the don't use one camp. I haven't dived with a snorkel on my mask since about dive #10 ... that was 340 or so dives ago. As others have said already, I've never had a dive where I wished I'd had a snorkel. When I used to DM, I carried one of those fold-up ones in my pocket. But that was just to meet PADI's rediculous standards. I absolutely hate have one flopping around on my mask. Hate it with a red hot passion. It didn't take me too long to realize I wasn't going to die if I didn't have it with me.

Some find it indispensable others just can't deal with having one on them. Personally I find it useful and not a bother so it all works out well.

Don't decide not to use on based on what you read here, I now others who ended up regretting that form of decision making.

In an overhead situation they have no place but elsewhere they can do a lot to extend your range pleasure on the surface.

Pete

After 30+ years diving mine is still attached to my mask when diving. The amount of gas I've saved waiting for others to sort themselves.....

Please explain why you save gas hanging out of the surface with a snorkel.

I find floating the on surface waiting for someone to get their act together, I can breath the ambient air just fine and am more aware of surface dangers (boats, other divers jumping in, etc...) since I can both see and hear what's going on around me. I only use it for longer surface swims when I need to accurately navigate and/or be more aware of whats under me than on the surface. Handy tool, yes, but not critical.

After 30+ years diving mine is still attached to my mask when diving. The amount of gas I've saved waiting for others to sort themselves out is unbelievable. Not that I get longer bottom time, because we still have to surface when they've used up their gas.

Oh how I like diving with the macho tech wannabees, got all the gear, but no idea what it should be used for.
I don't need a snorkel on a surface swim. I find it easier lying on my back and kicking out as opposed to face down with a snorkel. It doesn't cramp my neck when I'm on my back. I have a fold up one in my BC pocket if conditions require one.

I dive kelp frequently in California and it is more of a hindrance and tends to snag on the kelp. It is actually easier diving kelp without one.

And how "tech" is a snorkel? Simple gear required for OW PADI certification in the beginner's class. Nothing macho or tech about it, unless the folding ones are now tech gear.

Diving the Great Lakes, I would rather have a regulator in my mouth than a snorkel. I use one for training open water students but diving for myself I ditch it...

Status
Not open for further replies.
https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom