Do you feel the differences in wing sizes for BP/W?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

then nothing to worry about. Personally I'd sell the Halcyon wing and try to make a few bucks from it, or keep it as a backup rig or loaner rig etc. If you like the Trianta, there is 0 reason you can't use it on the Halcyon since like I said, it is straight up copied from the Eclipse 30 wing and they did a good job at copying it. I would be able to notice the difference, but it's subtle and not a deal breaker.

I'm going to try the whole Halcyon BP/W together and then make any decisions on changes.

I'm going to try the whole Halcyon BP/W together and then make any decisions on changes.
You could certainly do this, then you can decide for yourself! I agree that the 40 is a lot of wing. I have both, and I notice the difference, but honestly, it's not night and day. The only reason NOT to try it is that it doesn't provide you any additional benefits, but it does make the wing a used item when you go to sell it, which would be a wise thing here.

I'm a chick. I like matching stuff when possible. And it matches now. :wink:

The only gear for any hobby I've bought piecemeal were the parts for my AR-15 (I wanted a specific configuration).

at your diving experience you are unlikely going to be able to notice the difference as it is subtle. The bigger differences you will feel will be with the harness difference.

I think I do feel the different between the Halcyon 30 elcipse vs the 40 eclipse. 40 is wider and flappier. maybe it is all in my head. If I were you, I will see if I can trade the 40 eclipse to a 30 eclipse, sell the Trianta.

I'm a chick. I like matching stuff when possible. And it matches now. :wink:

The only gear for any hobby I've bought piecemeal were the parts for my AR-15 (I wanted a specific configuration).
Good with knives and guns..... don't piss her off.

My question: will I feel much of a difference switching from a 28 lb wing to a 40 lb one? I really have no clue.
Interesting question. And, a tough one to answer.

I think the best response is, 'It depends.' I notice a difference between the 2 (a 27 vs a 40), when I am diving a configuration for which a 30 lb wing is sufficient (warm water, very little 'weight added'). And, that difference is a very slight sloppiness, in a) buoyancy control (lag time between adding / purging air and feeling the change), and b) trim management which I presume is associated with an air bubble moving around in the wing, because the amount of air needed for buoyancy at depth is relatively small compared to the volume capacity of the wing. With a smaller wing, there is less opportunity for an isolated bubble to form, and move. But, I feel it with a 40 (or at least I think I do) because I have spent a great deal of time tweaking gear and trying to 'feel' for subtle differences. And, the differences are not really onerous. You may not notice anything, and find that both wings allow you to dive comfortably and enjoyably, with good buoyancy control, and in good trim. A 40 lb wing for single cylinder, warm water diving may be a bit more than needed (e.g. 25 - 30 lb), but it is not egregiously large. Would I use one for that situation if I had a choice? No. But, I have used a 51 lb wing for single cylinder diving and it was not a totally unpleasant experience.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom