Do you need a Wet Suit for 60ft in the Carribean?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I don't agree with some of the previous posters. Full suit is absolutely unnecessary. I left my 3/2 shorty at home last trip to Bonaire and had no problems with up to 4 dives a day in a swimsuit and tee. I think a short 3/2 is great and usually dive one in tropical waters.

Good buoyancy control is the answer to most stings and scrapes. If I get one I try even harder to make sure I don't do it again.

Last edited:
I always wear a exposure suit for protection against fire coral, jellyfish, and monsters! Its cool to have a deep tan and dive in shorts until your body is covered by welts and rashes!
Ron and I are not always in agreement, but here we are certainly on the same page. IMO protection from "exposure" means more than just temperature. I don't know about the Islands, but I can't recall seeing a States side dive pro diving with exposed skin, but for perhaps face, hands and maybe neck and ankles.

I'm a naturally insulated person and I was wondering if I will need a wetsuit in the Carribean? I signed up for dives from the cruise ship excursions. They are max 55 to 60ft mostly shallower and not too long. I have all my own equipment except a wetsuit.

You will most likely be just fine. Lots of people dive in shorts and T shirt.

Personally I always wear a 3mm full suit. Seems like wearing nothing compared to a drysuit. I need the warmth on longer , deeper dives and it gives good sun protection. (I burn easy)

You might consider a thin shorty. Cost should be well under $100 and packs up small.

Depends where and depends when. The inner islands of the Caribbean, like Cayman and Jamaica tend to have warmer water than some of the outer islands that are affected by the Atlantic. I was in Dominica in March, and surface water temps ran 78-79F. I was fine with a lycra skin, but some people needed a 3mm. When water temps get into the 80s a skin is all most people need, and it sounds like that's your best bet. They provide good protection from the sun, and also offer some protection from those small nearly invisible stinging jellyfish that appear ar various times and places, and can easily ruin your day. Tee shirts and trunks are semi-ok, but not nearly as good as a nice lycra skin which is tiny, weightless, and very comfortable. Consult the mfg size guide and then order two sizes larger. Seriously.

I'll be in St.Thomas, St. Kitts, St. Lucia, St. Martin in Mid July.

Based on all the great responses so far I am thinking of one of these: Hyperflex Polyolefin Men's 50/50 Long Sleeve Rash Guard, Black It's a rash guard type shirt with 1.5mm neoprene for the chest and back. Does anyone have experience with these? Leisure Pro is nearby so I will go there and try them on.

A couple of Octobers ago I dove all over the western Caribbean (84-86 degrees), and was so, so happy to dive in swim trunks and a workout shirt (I dive mostly in California). I don't run into coral as a matter of course, so had no problems with stings and what-not. Jellies can get you, but I've never had it happen beyond slight stings on the sensitive skin on my face, which a wetsuit wouldn't have helped with, of course.

I would stay away from cotton as it can make you cold on the surface and cause chaffing. Any simple man-made material t-shirt should work great, though. I found it amazingly liberating to be diving so free and with only 6 lbs of ballast. It was amazing...and being expose DOES make you think more about what and where you touch, which is good for everyone (including your own buoyancy skills). I say, "Go for it!"

BTW, I'm no physiologist, but I've been fit, way overweight, and then fit again over my 18 year diving career...and I'm always warmer when fit. I wouldn't put a lot of credence in the whole natural insulation thing. When fit, I think the body just works and regulates better in general. Remember, all that insulation still needs blood, oxygen, etc., and exposes a lot more surface area to the elements...not to mention circulation and other problems associated with the "insulation". Like I said...I'm no expert, but do have first-hand experience.

Whatever you do...have a great time!
Sent from my Lumia 900 Windows Phone using Board Express

I was diving Jupiter with a guy who was covered in a skin rash on one side, open sores on one arm. I asked what it was and his response.....no idea. He had over 1000 divers but told me he was wearing a full suit from now on.

I know very few dive professionals who dive without protection. From the sun, from jellyfish, from fire coral, from the occasional run in with coral or a ship hull. We all want to avoid marine life but if you dive you will run into things even if just jellyfish in a jellyfish storm. :D If you were diving in FL last late summer/fall you know what I am talking about!

It only takes one time and then you learn. Its easier to learn online but some folk have thick skulls.

I was diving Jupiter with a guy who was covered in a skin rash on one side, open sores on one arm. I asked what it was and his response.....no idea. He had over 1000 divers but told me he was wearing a full suit from now on.

I know very few dive professionals who dive without protection. From the sun, from jellyfish, from fire coral, from the occasional run in with coral or a ship hull. We all want to avoid marine life but if you dive you will run into things even if just jellyfish in a jellyfish storm. :D If you were diving in FL last late summer/fall you know what I am talking about!

It only takes one time and then you learn. Its easier to learn online but some folk have thick skulls.

This is good advice. Your choices should reflect the conditions that you dive in, but personal preferences are important too. I have a skin rash from some stings leftover from my last Cozumel trip in May, but I would still never wear a 3mm full in summer down there regardless. It's a compromise I'm more than happy to accept in exchange for the freedom of not having to deal with the downsides of wearing a full wetsuit.

Last edited:
I would at least have a poleolefin shirt in the caribbean.

For multiple dives a day, you may want to consider a 3mm jumpsuit.

I dove St Thomas in December and January in board shorts and a short sleeve rash guard and was just fine. I also did a LOT Of dives at different places in Fiji in the same outfit. Had one problem with a nasty rash when I encountered some fire coral on an ascent rope. The current was ripping and the DM insisted I hang onto the rope while doing our safety stop. I had no idea what that crap on the rope was......I will next time though LOL.

I completed my Fiji trip diving in the same outfit but will invest in a dive skin soon.

Back
Top Bottom