Do you need a Wet Suit for 60ft in the Carribean?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

This is such a timely thread! We're planning a trip to Curacao in early April and I was truly debating the need for a wet suit vs shorts & light synthetic fabric top. I really don't want to spend my trip nursing stings & welts! I may pony up for the cost of bringing an extra bag with us for the wet suits.

Any ideas what the water temps in Curacao & Bonaire will be the second week of April? We'll be doing shallow dives (30-60 feet) since my husband is fairly new to diving.

For me, depends on how many dives I plan to do that day.

If I have unlimited shore diving available, it's normal for me to spend 6+ hours in the water and then do a night dive after dinner so a full 1.5mm or 3mm if the water is a bit cool. I bring both with me on trips.

Less dives a day? I may just wear board shorts and a rash guard.... there's no one answer for this, at least for me.

Good point. We're only doing two one-tank dives per day (3 days out of 4), which is why I think we probably won't get chilled. Worst case, we could rent wetsuits when we're there. The OP is doing two one-tank dives per day (4 days out of 4), so we'll see how it goes, right?

I would say do what you need to do to say comfortable. Being cold on a dive for an hour is a lot worse than being a bit warm on a boat (or on shore) for the few minutes it takes to gear up.

I would say do what you need to do to say comfortable. Being cold on a dive for an hour is a lot worse than being a bit warm on a boat (or on shore) for the few minutes it takes to gear up.

In my case, I'm motivated to try to get by with the smallest amount of neoprene, and therefore the smallest amount of lead, that I can, without getting cold or stung. Plus I'm the scientific type - how will I know if I can get by without the wetsuit if I never try it? If in two years I have a logbook with many different water temperatures, and the amount of exposure protection I needed for each of them, and the amount of lead that goes with each setup, I'll be a happy camper. :)

If I'm going somewhere and I'm not sure, I make it so I have options.
1.5 or 2 mm full suit, if it's warm. 3 mm if cold. Detachable hood. and a 2 mm hooded vest. The least I've ever worn in the Philippines or here in Belize is a 1.5. I've never been too hot.

I've NEVER been too hot on a dive... except in hard hat.

I wear a 3mm full in the Caribbean all summer long (l usually dive 80-100 days a year in the Dominican Republic). I was just diving here at home a few days ago in a 5mm. I'd rather put a little water in my suit and cool off than be cold.

Oh man, this will be a nice change from full 7mm crushed neoprene drysuit (even on an 90F day, the water temp is about 40F.)

What's the difference between a rashguard and a polyester / spandex long-sleeved shirt? I've got a lot of biking jerseys -- Sugoi's Finostretch is the top that comes to mind. It might sound like an odd question, but the lightest protection you can even buy up here is a 7mm / 7mm wetsuit.

I ordered a hyperflex polyolefin rash guard. I tried one on before ordering but had to order the correct size for me. It's thicker than lycra but not as thick as neoprene. It feels sort of like a compressed sweatshirt. I havent had it in the water, but I like it because it helps smooth out features. It seems it will add a small amount of warmth and definately should protect against abrasions.

I saw hyperflex also makes a 50/50 shirt that has 1.5mm neoprene in the chest and back and polyolefin sides and sleeves. It was nice too but I chose the plain shirt.

To answer the OP's question. Will I need a wetsuit in the Carribean? Yes. Will you? I have no idea... it all comes down to personal tolerance right? Even if I didn't get cold easily, I'd wear a wetsuit if planning repetitive dives over multiple days, even just one or two a day. I always wear a hood and it makes a huge difference. Perhaps if you don't mind looking silly a rash guard and hood would be sufficient if you're a "warm diver" type.

OK, so I'm back from my trip to the Caribbean. Mid-July, and the temperature of the water at all three locations (Cozumel, Belize, Grand Cayman) was 84 degrees from the surface down to the deepest point of my dives (85, 85, 55 feet). I was perfectly comfortable in a 3mm shortie and a beanie. I started out a little warm and ended up feeling cool by the end of the second dive of the day. Because the 3mm shorty seemed to be just right, I didn't try the 1mm setup. Maybe I'll try it some time when I have more than 2 dives per country, so I'll be willing to take the risk. :)

I did play around with my weight, though. I started out with "needing" 20 lbs for the first dive, and got it down to 16 lbs for the last dive. With 16 lbs for the last dive I had the magic "no air in my BC" when I was neutrally buoyant, but I had to fin down to hold the safety stop at the end of the dive. So I think next time I'll go back to 18 lbs with a 3mm shortie and not have to work so hard at the safety stop.

Mission accomplished. :)

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom