Do you need a Wet Suit for 60ft in the Carribean?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

very nice

during cert, on my first open water weekend, the first dive was bathing suit only in 83F. After about 40min I started to feel the temp difference.

Fortunately we had brought the 3/2 shorty for me and I used that for the second dive. Good thing too as this location had temp gradients, maybe 8-10 degrees, such that you could very easily see the 'plasma' as the temps met and we're talking horizontal gradients.

Perhaps a light undercurrent but the water was similar to the first dive then BOOM, a shock of cold water, then back to the warm layer just 3 more feet down lol. But then going across, back to the cold water at that same lower depth. Very strange to me, this was only 30ft of water: French Reef in Key Largo

I have never dived too warm except in pool session of a class. Even in tropical water, I will try to have a 3mm full suit with with. If not for warm, for protection of abbration. Keep in mind, you may not feel cold in t-shirt for your first dive, but on the 3rd or later dive, after some wind in SI, you may feel cold, so just be prepared to have something, bring it or rent it.

Take a 1 mil...you'll be good anywhere in the Caribbean

I wear at least a 3mm even in summer.

Sent from my SCH-I510 using Tapatalk 2

I've dove Bonaire on 5 trips with swim trunks & t-shirt (sometimes skipped the shirt, evening diving). Had a couple of times where it felt like a bee stung in on exposed facial skin. Once while exiting (or trying to) from shore diving, the surge was shifting me back & forth in the rubble-strewn shallows pretty hard, and my calf came in contact with some fire coral. Pain a bit like a wasp sting, only spread over an area (like the leg was slapped) rather than a focal pin point. Some soreness for awhile.

Point is, yes, you can get 'nailed' by fire coral, a jelly fish tentacle, etc... And sunburn is a big concern (don't forget to sunscreen the back of your neck and your ears).

Whether the added security of an exposure suit is needed it up to you. I'm 6'1", nearly 275# & wear 48 or 50 pants; a lot of stuff doesn't come in my size, though I see Akona has a skin suit at Leisure Pro online that should in theory fit me. Might have to think about it.

Richard.

I bought a pair of lavacore pants and intend to try them, a skin for the top 1/2 when I go to Roatan in 2 weeks. I have been there before with a full 3 ML and was plenty warm. I don't like the idea of being stung by anything so I will be covered one way or another.

Just did 2 weeks diving in Cozumel, wore a 3mm shorty for 2 days before I said TO HELL WITH IT!! Dove in my speedo jammers the rest of the trip! I thought the thermoclines felt nice and besides, they made my nips look good, hahahaha! If I were to wear anything, it would be strictly for skin protection only, so a skin would probably be best.

Wet suit in the Caribbean????? That's just crazy talk!!!

file.php

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom