Do you plan your dive trips at the start of the year?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

both------sometimes need a quick run to Cozumel in between the others---just to get a little wet...

We estimate our diving desires, and set aside money every month so every dive is paid for by the time it rolls around. So, yes, we plan ahead . . .

But we also set aside funds for those --- hey! Let's go! trips.

Plans? For 2011 I'm planning ...

- another ADM trip to Vancouver Island "sometime in the spring" ... those don't need a lot of advance planning, since I take all my own gear and drive there

- Florida caves in May ... I'll be arranging airline tix and car rental sometime in Jan or Feb, most likely

- Channel Islands in June ... that'll be arranged in probably March

- Hopefully I'll finally make it to Mexico late in the year ... but it's way too early to worry about that yet ...

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

My wife and I take at least one diving vacation every summer, usually around the middle of June when typically the weather here is just starting to warm up and dry out. I don't like to go anywhere in the winter because it means having to return to the wet and cold of the Pacific Northwest, and I'd rather just gut it out. July through September is by far the best time here weather-wise, so I'd rather hang out at home and enjoy it during that time.

I'm the planner in the family. My wife trusts me to pick places we'll both enjoy, and I like doing it. Dive magazines and advice from my LDS help a lot along with participating here on Scubaboard and surfing the world wide web.

Typically, I start planning for the next trip within a week or two of returning from the last trip. Often, I get ideas from where we went that summer. We started with Playa del Carmen/Cozumel because that's where everybody goes. Next was Belize because we were just so close when we were in Mexico. Hawaii and then the Florida Keys just sort of fell into our lap. Back to Belize because there was some unfinished business on the mainland before diving. PdC/Cozumel a couple of more times thrown in there since I can't seem to get enough of the cenotes. Next year it's southern Belize in hopes of diving with the Whale Sharks.

I'm guessing we'll head further south after that, but I probably won't know for sure until we do the Whale Shark thing.

Since I try to fly south to the Upper Keys each month, I pick the moon phase which creates the least wind and wave action in the mornings. Seems like the middle of the month usually works out, down on Sunday and back on Wednesday. Also, I try to correlate this with Southwest Airlines' cheapest, online Fort Lauderdale flights and Payless car rental's cheapest prices.

We generally have one trip planned well in advance (usually in February), then play the rest of the year by ear. If something presents itself that looks interesting we'll go for it.

I live from dive holiday to dive holiday. Rest of the time I am in the office. Leave is booked for week of 6th Feb and then 22 April next year already. Now where to go?

Oh, I am also planning an Ice Diving Course for early next year. Weekends don't get planned, just check with the mrs a few days in advance.

Also planning Adv Nitrox / Deco next year and speaking to a few instructors to see whose course looks to be the best fit.

I plan larger group trips up to a year in advance. Dive holidays for myself are usually planned 4 -6 monthe in advance ( I am off to Grenada in April). Weekend trips in the regeon are planned about a month in advance (off to Jeddah in January).

Most of my trips are spur of the moment decisions and locally and to Oman that is never an issue. I plan to visit the Philippines again in 2011, most likely to Puerto Galera again, plus possibly a trip to Saudi Red Sea when I am next there on business.

Long trips of a week or more I generally have to plan by October or November. Long weekends I can do more spur of the moment. I work as an independent contractor so my work schedule varies a great deal.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom