Documenting the shallow wrecks of the Key West Ghost Fleet Labor over Day Weekend!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

aue-mike

Contributor
Reaction score
For those looking to do something out of the ordinary, we are working to set up a trip September 4-8 to explore, document, and hopefully identify several shallow wrecks in the Key West Ghost Fleet aboard the M/V SPREE.

SMALLWEBER.jpg (not the SPREE)

WHAT IS THE KEY WEST GHOST FLEET?

Many may be unaware, but there are almost 20 U.S. Navy shipwrecks sunk in the immediate vicinity of Key West. In 2003, I wrote about several of the deeper warships sunk during Navy tests in my book "Shipwrecks of the Sunshine State", which I nicknamed the Key West Ghost Fleet. While most are documented, a handful were used as targets in the shallow, crystal clear waters of the Marquesas; unfortunately, the U.S. Navy did not keep track of what vessels were used as target vessels. Several years ago, I was able to identify one of the larger ships locally known as the "Patricia Target Ship" as the USS WEBER (DE-675), but there are still several large wrecks (150-200 feet in length) waiting to be identified. And the great thing about these wrecks is that they are super shallow, some in as little as 10 feet of water on clean, white sand. This allows a ton of dive time exploring these former warships amidst goliath grouper and sea turtles, while inert practice bombs litter the bottom.

P1010094.jpg (USS WEBER engine)

We plan to spend the first day exploring three of these wrecks in the shadow of the Marquesas Keys: USS WEBER, an unknown 160-foot-long target ship, and the unidentified "Barley Wreck." That evening, we plan to survey for a missing minesweeper in the area as we motor north towards the following day's destination. The second day we will be diving on the 136-foot-long minesweeper USS GOLDFINCH followed by the the destroyer USS STURTEVANT, which was lost in an Allied minefield north of Key West during World War II.

smP1010051.jpg (ammunition on the STURTEVANT)

On day three we will check out an unidentified 190-foot-long target ship and then explore the two sections of the USS AMESBURY just north of Key West. We will then be back at the dock by 5:00 PM.

So, if you want to explore some unknown shipwrecks off the beaten path that don't require technical gear or extended decompression, enjoy oodles of bottom time, learn a little about shipwreck exploration and archaeological surveying, and help possibly identify a wreck, set aside Labor Day Weekend and plan to be in Key West! Cost in $995 and includes all diving (air or nitrox), weights, all meals, snacks, beer, and wine.

This is a short-notice trip, so if you are considering it, please don't hesitate and shoot me a PM if you wish to be added to the roster.

Cheers,
Mike

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/
https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom