Does anyone make a "real" iPhone housing?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

The point of the Golden Shellback company was doing was completely disassembling the components and coating them all individually. Of course, doable by oneself but quite an arduous task for modern cellphones.

Regardless, in their short time in the spotlight they did mention putting the iPhone under water long enough for it to die on standby (over >100 hours) but from what I saw, nothing about putting it underpressure at any sort of significant depth.

I'm sure if the technology worked at depth and they thought to market to scuba diver folks woul dbe paying thousands of dollars just so they could attach an iPod to a D-ring and listen to tunes while at 100'.

This could easily be done with a polycarb housing like the iDive or an Ikelite, and simply using Ikelite style push buttons lined up with all the camera buttons (about 9 of them).

The rubber ends would just need to be removed, and replaced with a material that will activate the screen.

The whole point behind scuba diving is to leave the surface world behind. Even if I knew of such a casing, I could not in good consience tell you about it.

But I can't immediately post to Facebook with my dSLR.

Take a look at this website.

[url]http://scubacapsule.com/

[/URL]
I understand it was unveiled at DEMA last week in Orlando and should be available soon.

BTW - the iPhone can take pictures by pressing the volume up button on the side in addition to the on screen shutter button (upgrade to IOS5)

Wow, can you get a citation for diving while texting???

Some cases ARE coming out !!!

Currently two companies, I have a local Montreal dive shop owner (Stoni of Einstein Scuba), that's a DEMA looking into this right now.

I want to write some software for the iPhone for UW use. Imagine your phone as an UW dive comp.

One is in acrylic, another is aluminum & glass. I'll keep this thread updated. Expect to pay over 400$ or over 500$, you can take UW pics and videos too.

AT&T and Verizon haven't answered me yet on the UW coverage, so I cannot say if you'll be able to send & receive text messages, let alone cell phone calls.

(c'mon, that was funny!)

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom