Does Transderm Scop patch have to go behind the ear?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Whoa… hearing all the withdrawal and dizz-effects people have gotten from the patch I actually feel like giving it a second chance. Tried it once and never got as far as taking it underwater with me. (Yes, I would recommend trying it several days in advance too!).

I had none of the dizzying, tiring or drying effects which I would now consider even more of a miracle since I am prone to getting them from anything starting from ibuprofen. However, second day I got a systemic looking rash all over my body spreading around everywhere except my face. I could not find that adverse effect on the brochure but I sure ripped the thing off and assumed it came from it since the rash calmed down in 24hrs. Anybody have this happen? Maybe it was from something else and I should rechallenge… Or arrange anaphylactic shock…

Glad to be of service, my friend.

For what it's worth, I don't use Transderm Scop(r) because of the side effects. The cotton mouth is bad, but the most irritating thing is the headache that I get from it. I'd rather have a few minutes of nausea that that any day.

As Mr. See-a-wave-and-Puke when I started diving, I tried lots of things and now just limit my intake of anything for an hour or two before getting on the boat. (I aggressively hydrate before that, usually starting the night before.) I limit my fluid intake, at least initially, to sips of water or gatorade when I'm starting the dive and have plenty of fresh fruit (orange and pineapple chuncks seem to work best) on hand for surface intervals.

I find that this strategy works much better than the pharmaceutical approach.

As for anticholinergic effects, we use the following pneumonic to remember what they are, "Can't see, can't pee, can't spit, can't s**t" (Dry mouth, urinary retention, hyposialism/cottonmouth, constipation. There's also "Red as a beet, dry as a bone, blind as a bat, hot as a hare, mad as a wet hen" to describe the same effects, with the addition of the lack of sweating that causes body temp to rise. These effects are common side effects of the older antihistamines (Benadryl, Dramamine, Bonine, Chlortrimeton etc.) to varying degrees, which explains why they can be used for motion sickness. Scopalamine is a specific anticholinergic agent like Atropine.

Brings back memories of working in Toxicology. Fun stuff!

Here's to great dives and keeping down lunch,
Grier

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom