Dolphins are sentient beings

Discussion in 'Marine Life and Ecosystems' started by Mr.X, Dec 19, 2007.

1. Mr.X

Mr.X Surface Interval Member

There have been numerous posts regarding the intelligence of dolphins. Listen to this account from a recent Larry King interview. Dolphins come to the aid of the surfer.

Video - Breaking News Videos from CNN.com

Additionally, the same page features the latest between the AUSSIES and Japanese regarding the Antarctic hunt. Go Australia !!!!

X

2. Drewpy

Drewpy Surface Interval Member

# of Dives: 200 - 499
    Wow - I had read about this..but hearing it from his point of view is pretty mind blowing to say the least..? Hits close to home as I dive in Monterey often!

Thanks for posting this X!

3. Mr.X

My pleasure. I dove Monterey (as a kid) a day after Jaws debuted on the big screen. I was looking around the kelp to see if I was going to get chomped. It was a serendipitous event having dolphins around. Then again, the dolphins may have been keeping an eye on the surfers. Remarkable.

Additionally, I posted this piece to remind environmentally conscious folks that the Japanese whaling fleet is fast approaching their target destination(s) in the Antarctic sanctuary. Accompanying them will be the boats from Sea Shepherds and Greenpeace. Also, the AUSSIES have joined in by sending a boat to observe.

Bloomberg.com: Australia & New Zealand

In all, the Japanese fishing industry and supportive government are fools fishing under the banner of sovereignty.

:trainwreck:

X

4. lock_washer

lock_washer Barracuda

5. drbill

drbill The Lorax for the Kelp Forest

# of Dives:
    I agree... too bad some people aren't sentient!

6. Coll

Coll Barracuda

# of Dives: 50 - 99
    I am an acquaintance if not a friend of the guy that was attacked (Todd) and it is still extremely strange to see him on all these shows and articles, he is definitely using a negative to his benefit however so good for him. As for the dolphins, all I will say is (and I only bring it up because of 4 years of marine mammal experience) -- take it with a grain of salt.

7. Bob3

Bob3 Dive Shop

The USN had a [classified] program back in the '60s - '70s to train dolphins to attack & kill humans - mostly for use in VN.
    The job of "training" them was so difficult that the program was later modified, current details of which I don't have [still classified]. (They're still using dolphins is some areas.)
    The old program required hard-wiring the dolphin's brain with electrodes so the "rage" area could be lit up; they'd go after anything in the water.
    Dolphins with morals, that is almost indicative of sentience.
    As Dr Bill said, too bad some people aren't sentient! ;)

8. Mr.X

Latest news on the whaling front:

Japan halts humpback whale hunt - CNN.com

Japan understands (partially) that the world does not support whaling. It will halt Humpback catches. Now it's a matter of getting them to stop their planned Fin and Minke harvests. I am positive that the recent moves by the AUSSIE's have made members of the Japanese Parliament take greater notice.

X

9. cdreamer

cdreamer Manta Ray

10. drbill

# of Dives:
    Great news on the end of the humpback hunt. Hope it will soon extend to other species.

11. Divedoggie

Divedoggie Scuba Instructor

# of Dives:
    Mr.X, you rock! Thanks for the updates!

12. lock_washer

lock_washer Barracuda

Its good to remember that whaling is not the only threat to cetaceans (whales, dolphins, and porpoises), and all ceteaceans are sentient beings. Interesting note: It was Whale Biologist: Roger Payne that made the observation: Northern Bottlenose Whales are the smartest of all cetaceans. I would jump at the chance to dive with them off Nova Scotia.

Lock Washer

13. LIVES4SHARKS

LIVES4SHARKS SHARK DIVA AI ScubaBoard Supporter

# of Dives: 200 - 499
    Dont forget the sharks! They are slaughtered by the millions and unfortuantely many species are heading to extinction. Many sharks are not reproductively mature until the age of 25 yrs. So the Apex predators are not able to keep up with the slaughter. It's only a matter of time before we see the global chaos in our oceans...one can only hope we can stop the ensuing oceanic crisis! Everyone needs to start getting involved in every way that they can to protect and save our oceans! Unfortuantely, Discovery's Shark Week does more to show the bad then the good in sharks! They are not thoughtless killers! From my diving experiences with them, they are incredibly docile and beautiful in their design. I recently finished a whale shark expedition in Mexico. I think I found my soul there in those days of swimming side by side with such a miraculous creature, I also had the pleasure of swimming with wild dolphins just by chance on my Bday in 2006. They just came up to me and made it the most memorable birthday to date! What an incredible experience. I just hope our children will get to share that kind of experience in their lifetime!

Happy diving!
    Carolyn:sharks:

14. drbill

# of Dives:
    Ah Mr. X, don't worry. When my friends from the planet Xanadu arrive on their next food gathering trip the problem will be reduced greatly since they don't consider most humans to be sentient beings and therefore see them as fair game.

15. DeepSeaExplorer

DeepSeaExplorer Manta Ray

# of Dives: 500 - 999
    Just like that old movie where the aliens had a book titled, "How to serve man."

Turns out it was a cook book.

16. amshort

amshort Garibaldi

Dear Scuba Board,
    I am a in an educational technology class at Purdue University and we are doing projects on specific themes for the class. My theme is marine life. I want to focus on dolphins a little more and was wondering if anyone had any interesting facts on dolphins. Also, some real interesting experiences with them would be helpful.
    Thanks,
    alyssa

17. lock_washer

lock_washer Barracuda

Alyssa,
    Here is some interesting facts:
    In Scottish waters: bottlenose dolphins have been seen battering porpoises to death due to competiton for food resources.
    Also the Irrawaddy River Dolphin can live in both fresh and salt water.
    River Dolphins are blind and navigate by their sonar.

You might look into other species of Cetaceans.
    Beak Whales are the deepest diving whales of all.
    The fastest swimming cetacean is the Dall's Porpoise.
    According to Whale Biologist Roger Payne: The Northern Bottlenose Whale is the smartest cetacean.
    In the south pacific: their is a Blue whale/humpback whale hybrid swimming around.
    In the Azores Islands: there is a albino Sperm Whale.
    In the Australia Area/Antarctic Ocean: there is a albino Humpback Whale name Migaloo.

Lock Washer

18. Mr.X

Thanks Bill. I do like the use of the "X" in Xanadu! :D

Cheers,

X