Dolphins are sentient beings

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Its good to remember that whaling is not the only threat to cetaceans (whales, dolphins, and porpoises), and all ceteaceans are sentient beings. Interesting note: It was Whale Biologist: Roger Payne that made the observation: Northern Bottlenose Whales are the smartest of all cetaceans. I would jump at the chance to dive with them off Nova Scotia.

Lock Washer

Dont forget the sharks! They are slaughtered by the millions and unfortuantely many species are heading to extinction. Many sharks are not reproductively mature until the age of 25 yrs. So the Apex predators are not able to keep up with the slaughter. It's only a matter of time before we see the global chaos in our oceans...one can only hope we can stop the ensuing oceanic crisis! Everyone needs to start getting involved in every way that they can to protect and save our oceans! Unfortuantely, Discovery's Shark Week does more to show the bad then the good in sharks! They are not thoughtless killers! From my diving experiences with them, they are incredibly docile and beautiful in their design. I recently finished a whale shark expedition in Mexico. I think I found my soul there in those days of swimming side by side with such a miraculous creature, I also had the pleasure of swimming with wild dolphins just by chance on my Bday in 2006. They just came up to me and made it the most memorable birthday to date! What an incredible experience. I just hope our children will get to share that kind of experience in their lifetime!

Happy diving!
Carolyn:sharks:

Ah Mr. X, don't worry. When my friends from the planet Xanadu arrive on their next food gathering trip the problem will be reduced greatly since they don't consider most humans to be sentient beings and therefore see them as fair game.

Ah Mr. X, don't worry. When my friends from the planet Xanadu arrive on their next food gathering trip the problem will be reduced greatly since they don't consider most humans to be sentient beings and therefore see them as fair game.

Just like that old movie where the aliens had a book titled, "How to serve man."

Turns out it was a cook book.

Dear Scuba Board,
I am a in an educational technology class at Purdue University and we are doing projects on specific themes for the class. My theme is marine life. I want to focus on dolphins a little more and was wondering if anyone had any interesting facts on dolphins. Also, some real interesting experiences with them would be helpful.
Thanks,
alyssa

Alyssa,
Here is some interesting facts:
In Scottish waters: bottlenose dolphins have been seen battering porpoises to death due to competiton for food resources.
Also the Irrawaddy River Dolphin can live in both fresh and salt water.
River Dolphins are blind and navigate by their sonar.

You might look into other species of Cetaceans.
Beak Whales are the deepest diving whales of all.
The fastest swimming cetacean is the Dall's Porpoise.
According to Whale Biologist Roger Payne: The Northern Bottlenose Whale is the smartest cetacean.
In the south pacific: their is a Blue whale/humpback whale hybrid swimming around.
In the Azores Islands: there is a albino Sperm Whale.
In the Australia Area/Antarctic Ocean: there is a albino Humpback Whale name Migaloo.

Lock Washer

Thanks Bill. I do like the use of the "X" in Xanadu! :D

Cheers,

X

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom