Domeboro Otic

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Finally, while there is anecdotal evidence that they may make equalizing of the ears easier, I am unaware of any published research in major scientific/medical journals that supports this assertion.

Regards,

DocVikingo

Hi, Doc...

It seems obvious to me that the last post is advertising copy from the company, and as such should be taken with a big grain of salt. While I have decided not to remove the post, I have warned the poster that this is not appropriate in this forum.

You are correct that the claims made above are not justified by the medical literature!

Mike

PS I have nothing against Doc's Proplugs... I have them in my office and give them to patients all the time... but they should not be advertised for uses that are beyond their design. Anecdotal evidence that people "swear by them" is no substitute for scientific and clinical evaluation.

It seems obvious to me that the last post is advertising copy from the company, and as such should be taken with a big grain of salt. While I have decided not to remove the post, I have warned the poster that this is not appropriate in this forum.

It was particularly annoying that they made half a dozen similar posts in different places on SB in the last day or so. Such behavior demonstrates an increased 'blatant advertising' factor in their posts.

It was particularly annoying that they made half a dozen similar posts in different places on SB in the last day or so. Such behavior demonstrates an increased 'blatant advertising' factor in their posts.

Right... it's an old trick... search a huge archives for any thread that might be related to your product and post some advertising copy. Not that the discussions are active (although posting re-activates them in the "recent" list), but people who then search the archives in the future will see your ad.

If it happens again here, I'll just delete the posts. I thought that I would leave this one just to stimulate this discussion! But I know that our members are too smart not to recognize spam when they see it...

:)

I agree that is a pretty blatant ad and adds no value to the discussion. However good their product might be, their website, though less filled with absurd comments than a couple years ago, is filled with ridiculous statements like "Clear ears often to allow air to escape through the Proplugs vent and allow for better equalization" and "Reduces 'ear squeeze' caused by inability to equalize between the outer and middle ear" and "Helps prevent... inner ear infection..."

Kind of obvious there are no divers there.

Since they rely so much on anecdotal evidence there should be a 100% money back satisfaction guarantee since each person really has to try them for himself and create their own anecdotal experience. They don't seem willing to do that.

The USNavy regimen appears to be to use the Domeboro solution both before and after dives. I would think that post-dive for 5 minutes would do the trick? Does anyone use a similar solution before and after diving?

On a recent visit to my doctor, he agreed to prescribe Domeboro Otic; however he was unable to find this drug in his drug book. He asked me to check with the pharmacy to see if a script is still required. The pharmacy told me it was; however when my doctor's office called in the script, the pharmacy is saying this drug is discontinued and not available.
I can't find Domeboro Otic in the PDR either.

Is this drug still available to pharmacies?

Thanks.

You can buy it without a prescription for you pet. Funny huh? Zymox Otic with Hydrocortisone

Hey Chuck,

Otic Domboro, a product by Bayer Pharmaceuticals, was discontinued back in Dec of '00. Bausch & Lomb currently makes a product with the same formulation as item #24208061577. Both are composed of
2 percent acetic acid, water, aluminum acetate, sodium acetate & boric acid.

The product you have posted a link to, Zymox Otic with Hydrocortisone, is formulated using
1.0% hydrocortisone, glycerin, deionized water, hydroxy propyl cellulose, benzyl alcohol, potassium iodide, hydrocortisone, dextrose, propylene glycol, glucose oxidase, lysozyme, lactoperoxidase & lactoferrin.

Perhaps I'm missing something, but what makes you think that they are the same, or even similar, in composition?

Regards,

DocVikingo

Hey Chuck,

Otic Domboro, a product by Bayer Pharmaceuticals, was discontinued back in Dec of '00. Bausch & Lomb currently makes a product with this formulation as item #24208061577. Both are composed of 2 percent acetic acid, water, aluminum acetate, sodium acetate & boric acid.

The product you have posted a link to, Zymox Otic with Hydrocortisone, is formulated using
1.0% hydrocortisone, glycerin, deionized water, hydroxy propyl cellulose, benzyl alcohol, potassium iodide, hydrocortisone, dextrose, propylene glycol, glucose oxidase, lysozyme, lactoperoxidase & lactoferrin.

Perhaps I'm missing something, but what makes you think that they are same, or even similar, in composition?

Regards,

DocVikingo
I suspect he was mislead by Otic being in both titles. But since that refers to being for the ear, it is not very informative.

I suspect he was mislead by Otic being in both titles. But since that refers to being for the ear, it is not very informative.

Hi tursiops,

There are scores of solutions/meds with otic in the brand name. "Otic" simply means of or relating to the ear. As such, beyond that it is in and of itself extremely uninformative.

Cheers,

DocVikingo

Back
Top Bottom