Dominica - typical conditions?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Diver Lori

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
I am contemplating a trip to Dominica in May-June. What are the typical conditions leeward and windward? I have issues with seasickness, and was just trying to get a rough idea. I realize nothing is ever guaranteed when it comes to the weather, but typically what can I expect? Example, I did a trip to Bonaire a few years ago and avoided the windward side because it was all zodiac rock & roll diving. I know my limitations.

Any advice or experiences appreciated!

Stick to the leeward side, where all the dive operators are located. The windward side can be extremely difficult, with dangerous currents. Operators at the north end of the island sometimes do trips to seamounts near Guadeloupe, and operators in the south occasionally go 'around the corner' into the Atlantic, but this is demanding diving possible only when conditions are just right. There is plenty to see on the Caribbean side, especially in the south.

Dominica is a volcanic island, not a traditional coral reef island, and conditions there are somewhat unique. It's a great place topside and underwater. I've been diving there almost 20 years. Late May to early June is usually an excellent time for Dominica. Rains seem to moderate, the seas are calm, lots of juvenile fish, whale visits, warm starry nights, pure paradise.

Last edited:
Stick to the leeward side, where all the dive operators are located. The windward side can be extremely difficult, with dangerous currents. Operators at the north end of the island sometimes do trips to seamounts near Guadeloupe, and operators in the south occasionally go 'around the corner' into the Atlantic, but this is demanding diving possible only when conditions are just right. There is plenty to see on the Caribbean side, especially in the south.

Dominica is a volcanic island, not a traditional coral reef island, and conditions there are somewhat unique. It's a great place topside and underwater. I've been diving there almost 20 years. Late May to early June is usually an excellent time for Dominica. Rains seem to moderate, the seas are calm, lots of juvenile fish, whale visits, warm starry nights, pure paradise.
We are going to Dominica next month, March 2017. With 20 years experience, what information/advice to you have for us?

We are going to Dominica next month, March 2017. With 20 years experience, what information/advice to you have for us?
I assume you will be staying at one of the Roseau hotels with a dive operation attached. If so, they will pretty much determine your schedule and where you will go. If not, contact Colin lees at Nature Island Destinations for some nice properties that can be rented inexpensively. He can also arrange 4wd vehicle rentals, which I recommend. Driving on Dominica is British style and the roads are bad, but I always rent my own transport. Otherwise, you are dependent on a tour or two between dives, which is no way to really experience the island. If you do your own thing, I also recommend Aldive. They have a website, and are about 3 miles south of Roseau. Colin Lees can hook you up with nature guides, worth the cost.

Long aimless drives into the interior, stopping wherever and whenever, are the way that I learned about Dominica. The best dives are in the south, but mid island East Carib Dive is a nice small operation. Don't miss the open air food court next to the medical school. And buy a good guidebook. Dominica is a demanding destination that does not reveal her treasures easily, which is the reason most people go to diving inclusive hotels. In any case, you will love the place.

My only general advice is to do as much as possible on your own and get off the beaten path. Visit the parrot preserve. Look for Boa Constrictors and Iguanas. Watch the bats at dusk and the lightning flashes around the peaks on a sunny day. Float down a quiet river. Distances are short but take a long time. What you do depends on where you are and what transport is available to you. Get out of Roseau.

Thank you for all this info! We are first staying in Calibishie for 3 nights then heading to Roseau and staying at Fort Hotel for 7 nights and diving with Buddy Dive onsite. We're booked for 5 days of diving. I hope they do morning dives so we'll have the afternoons to scout out other things to do. They were noncommittal as to morning or afternoon dives. I'm thinking that this is cruise ship driven in hopes of reservations for a larger group....hmmm. We do have a rental car for the whole trip and I'm glad I'm not driving. We'd rather avoid committing to tours and groups/time constraints. There are 4 of us and we travel very well together on our own. Sounds like contacting Colin Lees is a must; what is the best way to reach him? What Dominica guidebook do you suggest?

Went to Dominica about 7 years ago on Carnival, some of the best diving I've done. Haven't made it back yet for an extended stay. Returned for one day again on RCCL this year and it is still awesome. Next time there will definitely be shore based.
Dove with Karen of Native Island Divers in Soufurie by Scotts Head both times. Good op, blew a hose 20 minutes into a dive and thought dive was over by Tony the DM replaced my hose on the boat and went back in for another 50 minutes for the first dive. This area has everything, sand flats, coral heads, steep walls, pinnacles, etc, and the water is always warm 84-86.

P4040108.JPG P4040101.JPG P4040103.JPG P4040104.JPG P4040107.JPG P4040109.JPG P4040121.JPG P4040151.JPG P4040157.JPG P4040162.JPG

Nice above water too and then they're always the jungle and waterfalls.

Attachments

• P4040170.JPG
    P4040170.JPG
    107.7 KB · Views: 91
  • P4040173.JPG
    P4040173.JPG
    111.6 KB · Views: 80
  • P4040176.JPG
    P4040176.JPG
    115.7 KB · Views: 80
  • P4040186.JPG
    P4040186.JPG