Don't miss Kauai dive site

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

AquamanKauai

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
As winter and the whales approach I always like to send out a little diving hint for those that are looking to visit the island of Kauai. Each island is very unique here in the chain and with a little research you can be sure to have amazing dives on any island you choose. While the island of Kauai is not know for it's shore diving - it has one of the best shore dives in Hawaii. Numerous operators dive Koloa Landing (Whalers Cove) on the south shore of the island 7 days a week. The site has easy entry most days, shallow protected waters, and is an amazing habitat for some of Hawaii's rarest underwater critters! Photographers and naturalist divers alike will be amazed by the variety of rare and beautiful fish/inverts at the site. The maximum depth for all intents and purposes is 45 feet in the cove shaped site with an abundance of critters in 15-30ft range. While some cringe at the mere mention of "shore dive" ... Koloa Landing will likely shift your feelings instantly. Among the benefits shore dives are often shallow and protected and assure divers of maximizing bottom time. Small private groups are also fantastic in most divers eyes. The Landing is also a non-boating zone so boats buzzing above your bubbles isn't a concern.

Some of the commonly encountered rare critters include:
Commersons Frogfish!
Harlequin Shrimp!
Dragon Moray Eels !
Freckled Snake Eels!

You can also expect to see ...
Leaf Scorpion fish
Devil Scorpion fish
Pipefish
...and more.

The bay is turtle habitat and in winter months it's not uncommon to see spotted eagle rays in the bay. Mantis Shrimp, octopus, horned helmet shells, kangaroo and fried egg nudibranchs are common as well.

If you're planning on a trip to Kauai just don't miss this gem of a dive. There are many top notch operators on the island with very experienced divemasters that would love to guide you on this dive.

Feel free to drop me a PM if you have any questions about an upcoming trip to Kauai or any of the other islands. I'd love to help.

Happy Dive planning and happy holidays
A

That may be the easiest entry in all the Hawaiian Islands also. Certainly the shortest walk. We parked 20' from the old boat ramp and walked down it and into the water.

Aquaman, are there any other shore dive spots on Kauai that you can recommend. I have snorkeled just about every beach there and wonder if you get out past the reef on any of them if they would make a good shore dive. I see that some shore dive Sheraton Cavern but others say it is too far of a surface swim.

The problem with Sheraton Caverns from what I've read is not the swim out but the swim back if the currrent picks up since it flows out?

In the warmer 1/2 of the year you could dive Tunnels on the north shore. When Ni'ihau diving shuts down around Sept. it probably does also.
Long drive from Poipu to find out the hard way it's not a nice day. Jeannette at Fathom Five probably knows also - she's the owner and guides there.

Dive Sites | Scuba Dive Kauai with Fathom Five

A can verify this but I read somewhere last year that Ahukini is closed to diving also now - just fishermen.

Thanks diver Steve we usually stay at the Marriott in Lihue and don't mind the drive down to Poipu or up to the North Shore we usually leave in the morning pack a lunch and has a different beach or two every day . I also saw that the Ahukini was closed for diving. I will look up fathom five before we go again.

Great info. I am very excited about my trip at the end of Nov 2015. Staying at the Koloa Lending at Poipu Breach for a week. Never been to Hawaii. Ocean conditions are very different from the Pacific, OR where I am diving regularly for the last five years, mostly solo. I would like to try spear fishing if allowed. Any advices from experienced or local divers?

Hard to believe but Koloa really is the only shore spot I suggest on the south or east shore now that Ahukini (by the airport) is no longer diver friendly. Most other areas have to challenging of entry or just remain shallow for just to far out. Sheraton Caverns looks close when on shore but we have divers get into trouble every year trying to reach it from shore. Currents are super common there - but can sure throw a wrench into an already deceptively long surface swim. Boat all to often zip in and out of that area looking for turtles and not bubbles from divers. Summer months allow for diving at Tunnels and Cannons on the north shore but those are certainly best guided.

Aloha

---------- Post added November 21st, 2015 at 02:46 PM ----------

Water temps were shocking high this year and reached 83 degrees. It's dipped a bit but still warmer than usual for the end of November. We don't have true thermoclines - so (generally speaking) the surface and depth temps are the same.

My wife and I are headed to Kauai and the BI later this month. We'll be trying to get in a bunch of shore dives. Koloa Landing will be the first (and maybe only) on our list for Kauai. Thanks for the info on rare critters.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom