DR: The Fluster Cluck SCUBA PuttPutt

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

My first OW dive was with 42lb's of lead (don't ask me why). Now I dive the same conditions with 28lb's, and that's with twin Al 80's.

My advice sen would be to avoid the people you don't feel comfortable with and stick with the ones who want to spend the time working with you (like IVS). Diving is one of those activities that brings out the best, and the worst, in people.

I am speechless....cannot imagine any instructor or dive leader that would go there.

Our divers average 6 to 8 pounds at checkout. THe physics don't lie!

Hmm...as I started diving more my weight requirement went up....but then again I added a drysuit and then after that added hi-loft undergarments for cold water diving.

Good luck in the future on getting the weight on your belt down. There are sometimes that people want to have fun but forget that there is a factor of safety that is involved with everything too.

Keep in mind, the ideal amount of weight you would need is zero, so adding any weight is moving away from the ideal.

There are many ways to address this, but in the end, you should strive for zero.

I am speechless....cannot imagine any instructor or dive leader that would go there.

Our divers average 6 to 8 pounds at checkout. THe physics don't lie!

Keep in mind, the ideal amount of weight you would need is zero, so adding any weight is moving away from the ideal.

There are many ways to address this, but in the end, you should strive for zero.

Yeah but keep in mind Dale is up here in Canada... When I started I had 40lbs. When I was teaching in the Caribbean, that dropped to 2lbs (yes I am a fat bastard). As for the physics, you are right. It takes more up here because newbies are thrown in the water wearing 7/7mm 'Arctic' style 2 piece wetsuits. :D

Yep, forgot to add that part :)

When I think back on those early dives I don't wonder why many people drop out soon after certification. 42lb's of lead, 14mm's of wetsuit, 5' of vis. I remember one OW dive where I literally kneeled on the bottom until the instuctor swam up in front of me, motioned to do some drill, and then swam out of sight again; then he swam back and gave me a thumbs up to surface. It turns out the group had surfaced, counted heads and realised I was still down there... waiting... My first deep dive was a simple matter of kneeling on a wreck (Nakiya) in low vis and hoping I would survive long enough till the instructor came back and gave me permission to surface.

Good times... good times...

ahhhh the wet coast.... makes warm water all the sweeter of a vacation

In the Caribbean guests would often not know their lead needs and would look across the counter and see me with my love handles and ask what I take... I would have given me 12lbs as a guest just by eyeball.
But as said it has much to do with comfort and experience; Down there, I can and have given away all my mead on a dive. (as a guide I made a point to carry my 2 lbs plus 6 more to give away)

If it took me 32-26 lbs of lead to get down in a pool I would check into taking up chess instead.

I was thinking about renting myself out as a bouy.

Seriously, I float like an iceberg.

And 30 pounds of weight is nothing new to me. I lost 60# of fat over the past year, so my body is used to lugging it around. I went from 300 to 240. From 50" waist to a 40" waist. I won't be happy until I get to at least a 38" waist, and shooting for 185#.

Most of that was by reducing my calorie intake. I went from 4500 calories to right now, 1800. I tried gym exercise, but I am bored out of my mind running two miles on a tread mill, riding a stationary bike, or waiting for steroid man to get off the weight machine.

As I get off my fat ass and get into the water, I expect to get there fairly quickly.

Senseiern, congratulations to you on your weight loss & new phsyique! Keep up the good work, using whatever method works for you. A longer, healthier and happier life will be the result!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom