Dress for success

Discussion in 'Ontario' started by Tom R, Jan 7, 2005.

1. Tom R

Tom R Scuba Instructor

The new DIR book on gear configuration is about to hit the streets. Written by Canada's only GUE instructor Dan Mackay this is an excellent book. Contact your local DIR dive store or quasi DIR dive store for ordering information.

2. NWGratefulDiver

NWGratefulDiver Mental toss flycoon ScubaBoard Supporter

# of Dives:
    Suppose I wanted to order a copy from your local dive store ... ya think I could get the author to autograph it? ... ;)

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

3. Tom R

Tom R Scuba Instructor

4. Kim

Kim Here for my friends..... ScubaBoard Supporter

I might be interested in that as well!! Do you do a package deal with some of your videos Tom?

5. SubMariner

SubMariner Victim of The Pogrom ScubaBoard Supporter

# of Dives:
    Hey, Tom... sounds interesting.

Can you give us a little more insight as to WHY you think this is a "must read"?

6. DI_Guy

DI_Guy Manta Ray

# of Dives: 100 - 199
    Tom:

Will all Dive Shops carry this book ? How is it going to be distributed ? I would not mind getting one.

7. Tom R

Tom R Scuba Instructor

This book is about gear configuration for the DIR minded diver, when I read it for the first time my first thought was I wish someone would have told me this or directed me this way first. There are too many people selling DIR like stuff with the wrong gear just because that's what the store sells.

One thing sticks in my mind at the moment it is the backlash alot of divers/instructors/students/salespersons have done lately. Bash and call down DIR walk into their establishments and see what they are selling alot of them are selling DIR-Like equipment and training. Unfortunately some of it is the wrong gear and the diver suffers.

This book explains equipment and the reasons why that particular equipment is configured that way.

8. Kim

I'd like to see it.
    Interestingly enough I think that attitudes are changing towards DIR. When I first joined SB there seemed to be a DIR war almost every week. In the last several months I haven't seen one. I'm sure that some of the trolls that used to get their kicks stoking up the fights are a little disappointed - but it seems to reflect that more and more people have a genuine interest. Probably it also has to do with a more relaxed approach that DIR proponents themselves seem to be adopting. As in many areas, it's easier to get along with new things that are presented in a palatable way - not rammed down your throat.

9. Boogie711

Boogie711 Loggerhead Turtle

I heard someone say the reason DIR never adopted the full face mask was because Jarrod could never stand listening to George Irvine for 2 hours while on a deco hang.

I was at first put off by the strident attitude of the DIR gang... until I realized just how much sense it made. Never - not once, have I ever asked a question about a single DIR principal and been told "that's just the way we do things."

Something like this book, which will explain 'why we do things,' will be a valuable resource to someone who has a genuine interest and an open mind. However, if they're merely looking to attack the system, I'm sure they'll look at this and start to salivate thinking of all the ways they can continue to attack it.

10. Tom R

Tom R Scuba Instructor

Most of us just got fed up with the trash talk and moved on to other boards, because of it. Funny thing now is most of them are all quazi-dir now, I wonder who is laughing now, unfortunately I cant say I told you so 50000 times

11. Kim

I don't see anyone attacking DIR here now - a couple of people in full defensive array maybe!:D Hey - I even gave up smoking this year - DIR-F might still see me yet!

Actually - if you were really expecting just a hostile reaction I don't understand why you posted this thread here. As it is - I'm glad that you did as I'm sure that there will be at least a few from our more than 30,000 members who are interested.

12. simbrooks

simbrooks Snr LayZboy Meteorologist ScubaBoard Supporter

Back to the book - is this some kind of revision, addition, etc to the original DIR-Fundamentals book? The original book seems to detail the gear (as well as the other tennents of GUE style DIR diving) quite well, was there need to update it or produce a new book? Might be interested in seeing what others write about such things.

13. Diver Joe

Diver Joe Nassau Grouper

But isn't that covered in the DIRF?
    Isnt everyone that is DIR already configured the same?

Or is this book directed towards the Non GUE Trained Diver such as myself... A diver who recognises and uses many of the GUE/DIR, / NACD, ISS CD etc...procedures/configuration???

If the Book is half as good as what I hear about Dan's class then it must be worth having in my collection. I will check out the NTD website and see if it's there....IF it's not there, please PM me with Ordering Instuctions.

Happy New Year and Safe Dives in 05

14. Tom R

Tom R Scuba Instructor

This book is not a replacement for the DIRF book, it is a gear configuration book and has the blessing of GUE. It is well thought out and worth the read, and perfect for those about to take the next step in diving or those that have no gear at all, as well for us seasoned vets of diving.

It's kind of funny cause on another board it was mentioned that this will happened just like this.

15. GDI

GDI Artificer of Havoc & Kaos ScubaBoard Supporter

# of Dives: I'm a Fish!
    Old edition:

To Dan Mackay if you wrote a book BRAVOthat is no easy task to do. I wish you the best in it's distribution. If I get a chance to I will take a look at it. Good Luck

New edition:

To Dan Mackay BRAVO on writing your book, that is no easy task to do. I wish you the best in it's distribution. If I get a chance to I will take a look at it. Good Luck

16. simbrooks

simbrooks Snr LayZboy Meteorologist ScubaBoard Supporter

TomR,

please PM me regarding price and payment options - obviously putting up a link would be commercial, cant really have that i guess. Alternatively if you have it online (price/ordering), send me the link in a PM.

17. Snowbear

Snowbear NOK ScubaBoard Supporter

I had a chance to read a draft version of this book back in May. Very well-written. The how and why of the various parts of DIR gear configuration were explained.

18. d33ps1x

d33ps1x Divemaster

Congratulations! Keep with it Kim. Best thing you cold do for yourself. You're body will hate you for a while but it will love you for it in the long run.

Way to go.

19. DSV1

DSV1 Angel Fish

This is what I love about the DIR thing, its an open book to be read or rewritten by any one.

DSV1

PS! my book will be out in June.

20. Tom R

Tom R Scuba Instructor

Right arm Kim, don't let the many mornings of hacking and spitting out pieces of lung discourge ya either. You'll be better off for it, it's a hard habit to quit.