Dry Suits

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Mario left himself wide open for that one, so I felt it was my duty to call him on it. :)

ScubaBaby....I can't help you much with drysuit woes. I've yet to don one. That fact cost me an opportunity to dive Alaska this past summer, while we were there. I do however intend on getting in one very soon. Have you tried to tri-laminate suits, such as DUI's line? I here they are alot less restrictive than neoprene models. They look nicer to!

Warhammer
If memory serves me right I was using tri-laminate rather than neoprene! But it wasn't mine so I dont really know much about them.
I have only done one dry-suit dive anyhow when I did the speciality. It was horrid - the water was brown! The vis was probably about 1foot (max). It had been raining on and off all day and it was a lake so the mud just stirred up big style - it was horrid.
Next I think i am being physical forced down to Stovey Cove for the weekend - definitely not by choice!
:bonk:-x-abby-x-:bonk:

Tom

Just a little note to say - I wish my underwiring was big enough to classify as a weight - that would mean a larger chest!!!!!
But i am afraid to say - my bra doesnt add that much weight!

:wink:-x-abby-x-:wink:

Abby, It's amazing how we got to your... ehem attire from a conversation about drysuits. I suppose I'm the one to blame here huh? Oh well, I'm famous for opening my mouth just long enough to switch feet!

By the way do I get to see what's underneath the towel? Doh! That probably doesn't sound too good either huh! Hehe, well do I?

Mario :D

:D Wow - I have just noticed that I have gained 1/2 a star - mum will me sooooo proud! :D

-x-abby-x-

Take a class with your new suit...some LDS will give you that class when you buy it from them. If not make sure you know how to use it before going to California...a feet first run away ascent could ruin a vacation...

:: chuckle :: Um, you realize this thread is from 6 yrs ago right? :D

now don't i look like a fool...

hmm.. this thread shd be moved to archives

dsudiver:
Me and a friend were planing on takeing a trip to Monterey over Christmas vaction and doing a few dives. i know it would be cold so we checked the water temp. in monterey via the internet. the water level was at about 54 F. I have read that, that temp. is a little to cold for just a wetsuit. so i read a little more into the details of dry suits. I discovered that in order to stay bouyant with dry suits there is a valve on the suit itself,in addition to your bc.
i also found out that there is a speciality cert. for dry suit diving. is the cert. needed in order to learn how to operate a dry suit?

anyone who can help please respond..

thanks

-dsudiver

Sorry to be boring but I thought I'd return to the original question of this thread. I dive in Puget Sound in a wetsuit, and the water temperature is certainly no warmer than 54F. I really want to get a drysuit as soon as I can, but for a few dives, especially if the air temperature is not very cold, I wouldn't worry about it. I started diving in Minnesota, and had several dives that were so cold it was not fun. In fact, that experience influenced me so much I lived here for five years before I tried diving in the Sound. Once I tried it, I was pleasantly surprised that 54F is not so cold that it makes for an unpleasant dive. To me, the main benefit of the drysuit is not so much in the water, especially for one dive, but how cold you get on the surface interval, and repeated long dives. But for a vacation trip, I'd think that the extra time, effort, and expense of getting into a drysuit wouldn't be worth it. Plus, once you try it, you'll be like me and have to sell a guitar so you can afford one.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom