Drysuit or wetsuit for 11/12 year olds in UK

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
Hi!
I'm in the UK (North Wales specifically) so dry suits are worn by most people most of the year. Sea temps seem to be around 9 degress centigrade (46 fahrenheit) now, and increase to around 15 in summer (about 60 fahrenheit).
My son (11) and my niece (12) went on a try dive in a pool at the weekend and now really want to do more diving, which is great! Our local club offers a course for kids their age which involves at least 2 open water dives. And then they can dive with the club (in controlled conditions and only to 12m).
The club will lend all kit, so no issues there, not until they are certain they want to carry on anyway.
The only kit they can't lend is drysuits.
Neither are big kids - my son is only 4ft6, and my niece about 4ft8/9.
Finding drysuits to fit is virtually impossible, especially my son. And getting them made to measure is not affordable when they both have to so much growing to do in the next few years. And also learning to use a drysuit is not straightforward and adds another buoyancy they have to control.
I've spoken to a few people - everyone seems to agree that getting them a drysuit is impractical and unaffordable.
Some people say just whack them in a wetsuit for now. Others say just take them somewhere warm to dive. The second option is not really going to be possible this year at least.
So - is a wetsuit possible or will they just freeze?

My idea is to have 3 layers -
A thermal base layer (didn't even know you could get them for wetsuits til now!)
A 6 or 7mm full wetsuit - like this Scubapro Rebel Kid's 6mm Steamer Wetsuit I actually picked one of these up on ebay for £70 :)
A 5mm wetsuit jacket/shorty wetsuit with hood - like this Scubapro Rebel Kids Hooded Vest Jacket 5mm
Plus gloves and thick boots.

This has the advantage that most of this can be used in other watersports (that they already do in summer) if either they are still too cold, or they just decide diving isn't for them after all. And obviously is much cheaper to buy in the first place.

But would that be enough or are they still going to freeze?

Thanks!

I'd say good quality 7mm wetsuits with perhaps an added layer would be ok in the summer, for shorter dives. Hoods and gloves also needed. Kids get cold easier than adults... Warmer air temps will also help them warm up between/after dives.
As for winter.... 46°F water, diving wet? Not a chance, especially children.

Any sucker in 46F waters in a wetsuit will become a popsicle. If your kids were misbehaving especially poorly I guess you could, but child protective services might get involved. 🤷‍♂️

I don't dare get in water colder than 70F in my 5mm suit and hood. I've recently purchased a drysuit for my dives going forward. I'm a weenie with the cold.

I have taken my kids diving all in 7mm in 46F but never in the winter. There's always a thermocline and warmer temps to pop up to. The dives are as long or short as they want them to be (usually 45 min and they're done).

Have fun, diving with my kids (even though it's always the most benign dives) have been the most fulfilling. The year they all got cerified, 2021, I feel like we spent more time in the water then anywhere else.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom